Monday, October 10, 2011

Review - The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

Title: The Truth About Forever (Amazon)
Author: Sarah Dessen
Publisher: Puffin
Release Date:  May 2004
Pages: 374
Genre:Y/A
Source:  Library

Sixteen-year-old Macy Queen is looking forward to a long, boring summer. Her boyfriend is going away. She's stuck with a dull-as-dishwater job at the library. And she'll spend all of her free time studying for the SATs or grieving silently with her mother over her father's recent unexpected death. But everything changes when Macy is corralled into helping out at one of her mother's open house events, and she meets the chaotic Wish Catering crew. Before long, Macy joins the Wish team. She loves everything about the work and the people. But the best thing about Wish is Wes—artistic, insightful, and understanding Wes—who gets Macy to look at life in a whole new way, and really start living it.

Kim’s Take – I have to admit that this is my first Sarah Dessen book even though I have heard and read such great things about her. I now know why. I loved the book and can’t wait to read her others.

The book is based around Macy, whose father passed away suddenly. I automatically felt so bad for Macy since she seemed so close to him and felt unnecessary guilt over his death. Unfortunately, she has no one to talk to about her feeling and holds everything inside where it eats her up. Outwardly, she tries to make herself appear in control and that she is fine. Mrs. Responsibility.

Her so-called boyfriend (I call him Mr. Cold, Insensitive, Perfection!) is going away for the summer to a nerd camp and has recruited her to replace him at his library job during his absence.  Spending her summer days being condescended to in the company of her boyfriend’s admirers, who feel she is not good enough for him, is hellish.

She meets Wes at a catered affair at her mother’s house and seems to be attracted to the chaos and how well the owner seems to thrive on it. When she begins doing some side work catering events with them, she begins to question her current controlled existence and spends more time with Wes who seems to be able to open her up more about her feelings. I loved the relationship between the two of them and hoped they would end up getting together.

Over the course of the summer, Macy rediscovers herself and the things that are important to her. She gains her voice and is able to verbalize her feelings to change things for the better and to question and rethink her relationships.

It was such a good story about being yourself and not what you think everyone wants you to be. Without this, you will never be truly happy and it just had such a positive ending.

Though the beginning was rather slow, it reflects the mundane life Macy was leading and picks up as she realizes things about herself and begins to open up more. A great read for everyone and I will be ordering other books by Dessen right away! (Goodreads)

Kim’s Rating – 4/5

6 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I agree that the beginning is a bit slow but I love how it picks up when she starts working for Delia.
    Plus, I seriously love Kristi, she's such an awesome friend.
    And Wes, while sometimes he was a bit too good to be true, I liked him and the fact that he and Macy were friends first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! Dessen is one of my favorites. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I loved this book and Along For the Ride- perfect summer reads! Plus, Wes is pretty fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This review is excellent. I have a book by this author that I haven't read yet. This book sounds fantastic- so maybe I should move the book I have by Dessen up on my list. :)

    I found you through Book Blogs and signed up to follow you. When you have a chance- please stop by and follow the blog for my middle grade novel that I am hoping to get published. http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    Take care-
    Jess- although I may show up as Fairday, the main character from my novel. I can't figure out why that happens and I can't fix it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Sarah Dessen! Her books always amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you penning this
    write-up and the rest of the site is also really good.

    my website - http://www.topgoldstorejewelry.com/the-facts-on-swift-products-for-modcloth-coupon/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there! I could have sworn I've visited this web site before but after browsing through many of the articles I realized it's new to me.
    Nonetheless, I'm definitely delighted I found it and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back frequently!


    My web-site; http://www.marshable.net/IonaPears/info

    ReplyDelete