Friday, October 7, 2011

Review - Nevermore (Nevermore #1) by Kelly Creagh


Title: Nevermore (Nevermore #1) (Amazon)
Author: Kelly Creagh
Publisher: Atheneum
Release Date: August 2010
Pages: 543
Genre: Y/A
Source: Library

 Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares. 
(Goodreads)

Kim’s Take – I can’t say this story grabbed me right off. It took a little bit for me, but once I got to know Isobel and Varen a little better, I started to get more involved.

The popular cheerleader, Isobel, and the mysterious goth, Varen, are paired for a school project. Not a happy match! But when she gets to know him a little more, Isobel seems to become the pursuer. This doesn’t go over real well with her normal crowd of jocks and fellow cheerleaders. But, all of their protesting and vile treatment seems to make Isobel become even more interested in Varen. And as she discovers more of Varren’s past and his connection to the creepy things that have begun happening to her, she decides that she is the only one who can save him from himself and the forces that want to consume him.

It’s a very original story with likeable (and highly unlikeable!) characters. I really like when the perfect and popular types come to realize that there is a whole world of different people outside of their own perfect lives. People who they felt were beneath them just by being different.

The only thing that kind of kept me from a perfect rating was the whole Poe aspect. Edgar Allen Poe’s work is so woven into the story and actually gets kind of confusing in the end. I had to reread a few sections to even see if I understood it correctly. I’ve just never been into Poe so that sort of turned me off but if you are Poe fan, you will absolutely love this book.

I’m curious to see where the story heads in the next book!

Kim’s Rating – 4/5

4 comments:

  1. I kind of like the idea of the girl going after the boy. It sounds like a good read. Thanks for the review, I would have passed on this one based on the cover but now I think I'll give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Varen! I love this guy! This book was totally win for me!!! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your go up with the rio Negro starts throughout february or maybe drive as well as will begin for you to recede throughout july. Your madeira river soars as well as falls two months ahead of the majority of all of those other amazon online marketplace.missiondelrey.com

    ReplyDelete