Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Review - Life as We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1) by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Title: Life as We Knew It (Last Survivors #1) (Amazon)
Author: Susan Beth Pfeffer
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Release Date: 2006
Pages: 337
Genre: Y/A
Source: Library

Miranda’s disbelief turns to fear in a split second when a meteor knocks the moon closer to the earth. How should her family prepare for the future when worldwide tsunamis wipe out the coasts, earthquakes rock the continents, and volcanic ash blocks out the sun? As summer turns to Arctic winter, Miranda, her two brothers, and their mother retreat to the unexpected safe haven of their sunroom, where they subsist on stockpiled food and limited water in the warmth of a wood-burning stove.

Told in journal entries, this is the heart-pounding story of Miranda’s struggle to hold on to the most important resource of all--hope--in an increasingly desperate and unfamiliar world. (Goodreads)

Kim’s Take – This book was awesome, but at the same time, depressing and scary. It just felt so believable, realistic, and possible, that you can’t help but wonder what you would do, or how you would fair, during a life and earth changing event such as this.

Miranda is living a typical teenage life, when a meteor hits the moon. An event that was supposed to be awe inspiring turns tragic for the earth almost immediately when the meteor hits much harder than expected and moves the moon closer to Earth. A desperate fight to stay alive becomes the new norm.

The book takes you through Miranda’s fight for survival in a world where basic necessities such as food, heat, and water become luxuries. Without technology that keeps you connected to the world, Miranda and her family have no idea how the rest of the world is fairing as their own town begins to fall apart. People are dying, starving, and others have left for the south, where they believe conditions are not as bad. Basic services, such as police and fire stations, no longer exist and there are very few doctors left at the hospital to treat patients who are dying from spreading illness. Everything becomes “survival of the fittest”.

I really like the characters in the book, with the exception of Miranda’s mother. I don’t know exactly what it was that I didn’t like about her, but I found her extremely irritating to the point that I just wanted her to die off. I’m evil, I know!

At the end of the book, it appeared that there may be a light at the end of the tunnel, so I can not wait to read the second in the series. This is a book that I think everyone should read to help you realize how we take the earth for granted and how one seemingly harmless incident can change everything.

Kim’s Rating – 5/5

8 comments:

  1. I got this recently at a charity shop and really want to start it!!

    Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just heard about this series not too long ago!! It sounds amazing!! I need it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's embarrassing how long I've had this book on my shelf. Great review. Looks like I'll need to get my butt in gear and finally get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read it, sort of, but these kind of books freak me out!
    Like, seriously. I do hear is awesome though and I'm glad you enjoyed it, hope you like the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got this one from Amazon a few weeks ago after seeing some good things about it. I am glad to know that it is realistic, those are my favorite kind! I especially like that it has a lesson about how we treat the Earth! I will have to get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to dive into this series! It dystopian, my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely loved Life As We Knew It, and I can't wait to read the sequel as well! The whole time I kept thinking, wow, would I have done the same as Miranda? Definitely one of my favorite dystopians, and I love how it was told in journal format as well! Fantastic review Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this series!!! Needless to say my daughter and I now know what we need to do if something happens to the moon (like get the whole family out of Florida LOL)

    ReplyDelete