Saturday, September 3, 2011

Review - Half-Blood by Jennifer Armentrout


Title:  Half-Blood (Covenant #1)
Author:  Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Release date: October 18, 2011
Pages: 281
Genre: YA
Source:  ARC from publisher for review



Summary via Goodreads:
The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi pure-bloods have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.

Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:


Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.


Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

 
Missy's take - 

Where do I even begin with this one? Half-Blood was everything that I love in a book. There was romance, action and drama! I would not change one single thing about it! This book quite literally took my breath away! It pulled me and didn't let me go until the final page. Actually, it never really let me go because I am completely aching for the next in the series. I have no idea how I am going to able to wait. 

I suggest that if you haven't read the prequel, Daimon, you do so first. It gives you some back story about what's happening and Half-Blood picks up right where Daimon leaves off. I always love getting a little back story.

I am going to start off by gushing a little okay? This book has some crazy amazing characters, ones that you totally fall in love with and root for. It has you go through a million different kinds of emotions people! There were times I laughed, wanted to cry, etc. You name it and I felt it at some point in the story.

Alex is a half-blood, the daughter of a Hematoi (a pure blood) mother and a mortal father. In the world that she lives half-bloods are pretty low on the totem pole. You pretty much have to prove your worth or you are forced into a life of servitude. This is not something that Alex is willing to accept. After her mother is killed by Daimon's she is brought back to the Covenant, the same place that her mother ran from with her 3 years prior with no explanation.

Alex is thrown back into a life of training to prove that she should be able to continue where she left off and not become a servant, but instead a Sentinel, who is trained to hunt and kill Daimon’s. Her need to become a Sentinel is even greater after her mother is killed by Daimon’s. Alex is an insanely strong character. After basically witnessing the murder of her mother she still is able to push forward. She doesn't let anything get in her way. She doesn't take crap from anyone and always has a witty comeback. This is another thing that I loved about this novel, the dialogue. It is always so refreshing when a YA novel has dialogue that relates to the characters. There were words and phrases that you can actually hear them saying.

The relationship between Aiden and Alex was so intense. Anytime they were together I could feel the tension between them. Since Aiden is a pure and Alex is a half-blood any type of relationship between the two of them is completely forbidden. I think this is why I loved this part of the story line so much! Forbidden love? Yes, please! More, more, more! It wasn't really what I would call insta-love either, which is nice because that is something that I generally don't care for. While Alex was totally attracted to Aiden in the beginning, I think that her feelings for him progressed in a pretty average manner. My stomach did little flip flops every time they were together in anticipation that something was going to finally happen between them!

Of course, as the story continues on, there are several twists and turns which I love, love, love! We end up learning why her mother ran away with her so many years before and what the consequences of her sticking around might be.

I really don't think that I can recommend this highly enough. Pre-order this people! You will not regret it! It is one of my favorite books of the year so far. I might even go as far as to say one of my favorite of all time. Yes, it really was THAT good! The whole flow of this book was just insane and perfectly paced and I didn't want to put it down for a minute. The fact that I have to wait for its follow up, Pure, is probably going to kill me slowly. I cannot wait for it!

Missy's rating -5/5

4 comments:

  1. I have heard SOOOO many good things about this book! I can't wait to read it when it's released. :) I love your super gushy review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not wait for this to come out! I'm loving your review of this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It sounds better than I expected!
    I had some idea of what the book was about, but I think this is the first review I read of it, and you make it sound so good!

    Thanks for the awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. moments and I liked that very much. Usually I have an idea of what's coming next in a book's plot but that wasn't the case with Half Blood. I had fun reading this book and loved every single page of it. Half Blood is one of those books you finish reading and can't read anything else for months because you are stuck in that amazing world of unforgettable characters.

    ReplyDelete