Friday, August 5, 2011

Review - Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson


Title:  Ultraviolet
Author:  R.J. Anderson
Publisher: Carolrhoda Books
Release date: June 2, 2011
Pages: 306
Genre: YA
Source: eARC via Netgalley
Buy the book: Amazon / Barnes & Noble

Summary via Goodreads: 
Once upon a time there was a girl who was special.

This is not her story.

Unless you count the part where I killed her.


Sixteen-year-old Alison has been sectioned in a mental institute for teens, having murdered the most perfect and popular girl at school. But the case is a mystery: no body has been found, and Alison's condition is proving difficult to diagnose. Alison herself can't explain what happened: one minute she was fighting with Tori -- the next she disintegrated. Into nothing. But that's impossible. Right?


Missy's take - 

Ultraviolet ended up being a really weird read for me. I really enjoyed the first half of the book, but then it got a little strange.

Sixteen year old Alison wakes up in a mental institution with no recollection of how she got there or why. After she is moved to another institution she starts to piece together what happened. She believes that she killed her classmate, but it's the how that freaks her out the most. She has always been different though. She can taste words and see colors in them and this just makes her feel over the top crazy.

I will say that this was definitely an interesting premise for a story. We are placed inside of an institution with Alison as she pieces things together and tries to figure out if she is truly crazy or if there is more to her story than that. It is only when Dr. Faraday, a neuropsychologist, comes along that she thinks she might not be as crazy as she originally thought.

You also meet several characters a long that way that become acquaintances of hers and have their own issues, which was very interesting to read about. Like I mentioned earlier though, towards the end of the book, things just get really strange because the story seemed to go in a completely different direction. I understand that the book has to do with mental illness and anything is possible in that scenario though.

Overall it was an interesting read. I wasn't overly taken with it, but it held my interest, and my curiosity, well enough to finish it.

Missy's rating - 3/5

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad that I didn't get this one. I was t tempted too, but it always through me off. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested in this one because synesthesia (the reason she can taste words & see colors) fascinates me. Sorry to hear you didn't love it! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm....

    Thanks for the review.
    Blogger who wants to know if its a delicious read.
    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete