Thursday, August 11, 2011

Review - The Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld

Title: The Uglies (Uglies, #1) (Amazon)
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: 2005, 2006
Pages: 425, 370, 384
Genre: YA
Source: Borrowed from Missy

Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license -- for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.
But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world -- and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever. (Goodreads)

Kim’s Take: First, let me say that I wasn’t real excited about this book and it took me quite a while to get into it. I just found most of it rather boring. But the second half picked up quickly and by the end I was seriously glad I had the second book!

Tally lives in a futuristic world where people are born ugly. Once you turn sixteen you receive an operation to make you “pretty” and you will then reside in New Pretty Town where the only thing that happens are non-stop parties. Pretties basically sleep all day and party all night. Her best friend Peris has already had his surgery and she can’t wait to be with him again.

Shortly before Tally’s sixteenth birthday, she meets Shay. Shay has different feeling towards the Pretties. She has no interest in becoming one and Tally learns she is planning to run away and join a group of Uglies called The Smoke. When it becomes clear to Shay that Tally is not going, she leaves some cryptic directions for her if she changes her mind.

On the day of Tally’s surgery, everything goes wrong. Instead of having her surgery, she is taken to “Special Circumstances” where she is told she will not be able to have her surgery until she finds Shay and transmits the location of The Smokes.

When she finally finds her way and arrives, she learns information that is not made public concerning the surgery to become pretty and its side effect. She meets David who has lived as an ugly his whole life and does not understand why anyone would want to have surgery to become pretty. He is able to see past looks and place more emphasis on the people themselves. His feelings begin to rub off on Tally. Tally begins to develop feeling for him and decides she can not use the transmitter to give away their location. But things don't go as she plans.

After a tragic accident changes everything for The Smokes, Tally will make a sacrifice in order to save the current and soon to be residents of New Pretty Town while protecting The Smokes.

By the time I got to the end of this book, I was absolutely hooked! I started the second book “The Pretties” immediately.

I have to say that the series is definitely worth trudging through the first half of this book for. I would have given this first book a higher rating because it got totally addicting at the end, but there were soooo many boring parts in the first half. I really, really like this series and think everyone should check it out!

Reviews for books 2 and 3 are coming soon!  

Kim’s Rating: 3/5

7 comments:

  1. The Uglies series is one of my absolute favourites of all times. I first stumbled upon it in a friend's father's office and I read the first page was immediately hooked. It took me years to find it after that to finish it. I'm sorry the beginning didn't grab you the way it grabbed me but I'm happy that by the end you enjoyed the book so much. Happy reading the rest of the series! And you should check out Extras when you're done them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this yet, but you have piqued my interst. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I have been wanting to read the this series. I know many teens who have picked it up and like it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had this forever because I wasn't getting into it either. I might give it another try knowing you actually got hooked enough to immediately read book #2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had the first several books for AGES but I guess I didn't have a strong desire to read them. But I'll definitely have to pick the first one up soon and I'll be sure to stick with it! I'm glad to hear that it picks up later and it's probably a good thing you told me cause I might have just set it aside. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember I tried to read this series a couple of times, but I never made it that far into it, I grew bored with the first half and never finished.

    :P

    So I commend you for sticking to it! :D I still don't think it's my type of book, but I liked reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My niece loves this series, she keeps getting on me to read it but I had heard so many mixed reviews that I wasn't sure. Thanks for your honest review though, I bet they get better.

    ReplyDelete