Thursday, August 4, 2011

Review - Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Title: Jellicoe Road (Amazon)
Author: Melina Marchetta
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: 2008
Pages: 419
Genre: YA
Source: Library

"What do you want from me?" he asks. What I want from every person in my life, I want to tell him. More.

Abandoned by her mother on Jellicoe Road when she was eleven, Taylor Markham, now seventeen, is finally being confronted with her past. But as the reluctant leader of her boarding school dorm, there isn't a lot of time for introspection. And while Hannah, the closest adult Taylor has to family, has disappeared, Jonah Griggs is back in town, moody stares and all.

In this absorbing story by Melina Marchetta, nothing is as it seems and every clue leads to more questions as Taylor tries to work out the connection between her mother dumping her, Hannah finding her then and her sudden departure now, a mysterious stranger who once whispered something in her ear, a boy in her dreams, five kids who lived on Jellicoe Road eighteen years ago, and the maddening and magnetic Jonah Griggs, who knows her better than she thinks he does. If Taylor can put together the pieces of her past, she might just be able to change her future.
(Goodreads)

Kim’s Take: Wow. This book was amazing! It is such a great story with wonderful characters who take us through loss, suspense, mystery, love, and forgiveness. I will say that about the first 100 pages will have you saying “huh?” a lot. The book sort of dives right in and it takes about that long to start understanding the separate characters, their relationships, and situations. But once you hit that spot, you will be absolutely hooked!

The book intertwines the past and present. And the books description “nothing is as it seems” could not have been more accurate!

 Taylor has no memory of her mother other than being abandoned when she was 11 years old. Hannah has been the one constant in her life. Hannah lives in a cottage on the edge of the property where Taylor attends boarding school. When Hannah disappears without a word to Taylor, and only a note left that she will be back, Taylor is lost and afraid. I felt so much sympathy for her because she has never felt like she fit in anywhere, was abandoned by her mother, and has no idea who her father is. And now the only thing close to family that she has is gone. I almost didn’t really like Taylor in the beginning but as more of her story started coming out I could understand the way she acted.

During the “Territory Wars” played every year between the school, the townies, and the military cadets, Taylor is faced to confront the cadet’s leader, Jonah. Taylor and Jonah have a history together that ended on a bad note and keeping their personal feelings out of the “war” could pose a problem. And, let me tell you, I was all about Jonah. He comes off as the hot bad boy, but there is so much more to him! 

Relationships form that surprise Taylor and make her miss having a family even more. Taylor sees a different side of all of these people she has known but never “gotten” to know. New friendships are formed and old ones renewed. She realizes more people have information regarding her history than she ever guessed and Taylor is determined to get to the bottom of everything. She needs to know who she really is. But the clues she gathers sometimes create more questions.

It is an addictive story that will really keep you guessing!

 Kim’s Rating: 5/5

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you loved Jellicoe Road! It's one of my most favorite books ever.

    I agree that the first 100 pages were a bit difficult, though, to be honest, a friend had warned me about it so I went in with that mind set and I didn't have a problem with them, actually.

    Anyway, love your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this review! I just picked this book up and so glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard SO many great things for this book! I did see it at the library this week when I was in browsing the shelves. I'm definitely going to have to check it out soon! Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm so glad you liked this one!! :D It's legitimately one of my favorite books EVER! It makes me so happy to see other people loving it too! :D

    ReplyDelete