Monday, August 29, 2011

Review - Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

Title: Beautiful Creatures (Amazon)
Author: Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Publisher:  Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Release Date: 2009
Pages: 563
Genre: Y/A
Source: Library

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.
Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.
In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything. (Goodreads)

Kim’s Take – This was such a scary, fun, and interesting gothic tale that pulled me right in. Set in a small southern town, there couldn’t have been a more perfect location. The story is a constant blend of curses, magic, voodoo, spells, plot twists, and surprises. Definitely not a boring read.

Ethan is just bidding his time until he can leave his small, boring, and sheltered small town life. The Lena shows up and changes everything. He seems to be instantly drawn to her, and begins a forbidden, unpopular love for her. Lena is a caster who will either become light (good) or dark (evil) on her 16th birthday which is rapidly approaching. The town instantly ostracizes her due to her relation to her eccentric uncle, Macon.

Though I had a little bit of a hard time relating to Lena, the other characters in this book were fantastic and fascinating. Amma is the voodoo practicing housekeeper who has taken the role of mothering Ethan after his mother died. Macon Ravenwood is the town shut-in and the uncle Lena has been sent to live with. Ethan has a couple of aunts dubbed the “Sisters” who were pretty fun characters in themselves. It seems that every character in the book is holding secrets which you are anxious to discover.

The story was a nice little break from the current vampire and werewolf craze of late. And the fact that there were two authors never even came into play. They write amazingly well together and I am very anxious to read the second installment in the series.

Kim’s Rating – 4/5

7 comments:

  1. I agree, the characters in this book are all super interesting. I loved the sister aunts as well and Macon and Amma.

    Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting, will have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard so many good things about this series! I really want to read it. I'm hoping to get to it soon! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book! Especially Ethan! Can't wait to read the third book in October!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read this book! It has been on my tbr list for a long time. Great review!


    Tia @ Falling For Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this series! So glad you loved this first one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep debating if I should read this series or not, I think I want to each time I read a review, but I dunno.

    It does sound amazing, but I'm not that big into gothic stories, lately

    Anyway, it was a lovely review!!

    ReplyDelete