Monday, July 18, 2011

Review - Shadowland (The Mediator, #1) by Meg Cabot

Title: Shadowland (The Mediator, #1) (Amazon)
Author: Meg Cabot
Publisher: Harper Teen          
Release Date: 2004
Pages: 287
Genre: YA
Source: Library

Suze is a mediator -- a liaison between the living and the dead. In other words, she sees dead people. And they won't leave her alone until she helps them resolve their unfinished business with the living. But Jesse, the hot ghost haunting her bedroom, doesn't seem to need her help. Which is a relief, because Suze has just moved to sunny California and plans to start fresh, with trips to the mall instead of the cemetery, and surfing instead of spectral visitations.
But the very first day at her new school, Suze realizes it's not that easy. There's a ghost with revenge on her mind ... and Suze happens to be in the way. (Goodreads)

Kim’s Take: This was a very cute and funny book. It is a story of Susannah (Suze) Simon who is a mediator and her job is to get lost souls to the other side where they belong. She has had this power since the age of two when she realized she could see people that others could not. Suze keeps this ability from others.

When her mother remarries, Suze moves to California. She sees her first unfortunate soul living in her bedroom in a very old refurbished home. His name is Jesse, he was a nineteenth century cowboy and he is hot! And he refuses to leave.

She runs across her second problem on the first day at her new school when she meets Heather, who committed suicide when her boyfriend, Bryce, broke up with her. And she is determined to kill him so no one else can have him. When Suze saves his life after one of Heather’s attempts to kill him, Suze suddenly becomes very popular, which she had never been in the past, and Heather adds Suze to her hit list. Heather believes that Suze is trying take over her life.

Surprisingly, one of the heads of her new school, Father Dominic, is a mediator also and aware of Heather hanging around the school. But Heather presents more of a challenge than Suze has ever faced and the situation becomes dangerous quickly.

This was such a light, quick summer read, with no boring sections that drive me crazy. I’m getting ready to read the second in the series now and expect another great read. This series would be perfect for your summer reading list!

Kim’s Rating: 4/5

8 comments:

  1. Ahh, I love this series! Great review - I hope you enjoy the second book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bow my head in shame! I have not read anything but this author but now I will have to remedy that situation and fast!. Sounds like a great series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series! I listened to the audiobooks last year, and just really loved it. Jesse is definitely awesome. :) Glad you enjoyed it as well, and I hope you like the rest of the series! The last book is my fave. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this one before but then I've only read on Meg Cabot book. This one sounds very interesting though, I'll be adding it to my ever growing list of books to get. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. *gasps* Jesse is not a cowboy! He's a rancher. LOL

    He gets mad when someone calls him cowboy, ;)
    Sorry, I'm a huge fan of this series.

    And I'm so glad you liked it, they are very summery, fun reads and I hope you enjoy Ninth Key.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read this book! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad it is so quick and enjoyable! I got a copy recently and plan on getting to it soon.

    ReplyDelete