Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Review - Ninth Key (The Mediator #2) by Meg Cabot

Title: Ninth Key (The Mediator, #2) (Amazon)
Author: Meg Cabot
Publisher: Avon
Release Date: 2001
Pages: 287
Genre: YA
Source: Library

Everything is going great for Suze. Her new life in California is a whirlwind of parties and excellent hair days. Tad Beaumont, the hottest boy in town, has even asked Suze out on her very first date. Suze is so excited that she's willing to ignore her misgivings about Tad... particularly the fact that he's not Jesse, whose ghostly status--not to mention apparent disinterest in her--make him unattainable. What Suze can't ignore, however, is the ghost of a murdered woman whose death seems directly connected to dark secrets hidden in none other than Tad Beaumont's past. (Goodreads)

Kim’s Take: I have to say that I liked this second book in The Mediator series even more than the first. As good as the first one was, this one had an even better story line. It was more of a mystery with lots of twists and turns which gave it a better plot.

Suze is awakened by a screaming ghost of a woman one night, who gives her a message to give to someone named Red. She has no idea who Red is and is given no clues. So her investigation into finding out who this Red actually is begins. She soon discovers that a boy she danced with at a pool party is the son of who she suspects is the Red this message is to go to. As usual, things go hysterically wrong when Suze pretends she is writing an article for the school paper in order to get a meeting with the man she has determined is Red.

The Beaumont family turns out to be a little more mental and dangerous than she ever could have imagined and soon finds herself a target. Someone has secrets to keep and will do anything to keep them that way.

In the end, all it takes is a photograph for Suze to realize exactly what she has needs to do all along.

And, of course, Jesse is still around and living in her bedroom. Suze finds herself not wanting him to leave. And I can’t say I blame her. A little more Jesse would be good thing!
This is such a good series and I will be getting the 3rd book as soon as I can!

Kim’s Rating: 4/5

3 comments:

  1. *grins*
    I do like this one more than Shadowland too - I think I like each Mediator book more than the last - and I'm so glad you do too.

    And I'm with you on the Jesse front, there is never enough of him! Well... there is in the sixth book because by then he's around almost all of the time and... well, you gotta read book six (the Original Twilight, as I like to call it since it had the title first!); It's awesome, as is the road to it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these books! I got them in a scattered order when I could find them, so I missed the full effect of the series in order. I'm pretty sure each book just gets better and better, though.
    Can't wait to see what you think about the rest of the books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter is a HUGE Meg Cabot fan. She'll love this!

    ReplyDelete