Saturday, July 9, 2011

Review - I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder


Title:  I Heart You, You Haunt Me
Author: Lisa Schroeder
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release date: February 8, 2008
Pages: 227
Genre:  YA
Source: Library
Buy the book: Amazon / Barnes & Noble

Summary via Goodreads:

Girl meets boy.

Girl loses boy.

Girl gets boy back...

...sort of.


Ava can't see him or touch him, unless she's dreaming. She can't hear his voice, except for the faint whispers in her mind. Most would think she's crazy, but she knows he's here.

Jackson. The boy Ava thought she'd spend the rest of her life with. He's back from the dead, as proof that love truly knows no bounds.

 
Missy's take -

This was my very first experience with a novel written in verse. It most certainly will not be my last. I have been quite skeptical to pick one up, but after hearing incredible things about Lisa Schroeder I decided to check it out. I sat down to read this and didn't move until I was finished. When I flipped that last page I couldn't believe that I had finished. It seemed to be over so incredibly quickly.

I Heart You, You Haunt Me is the story of Ava. A 15 year old girl in complete devastation over the death of her boyfriend Jackson. She blames herself as it was a "dare" that caused his untimely death. She is overcome with grief over the loss of him and feels that she will never be able to move on.

I initially didn't think a novel in verse could tell much of a story. Boy was I wrong. I was so engrossed in Ava's story and, with very little words, was able to learn so much about a boy and girl who loved each other so much. This was almost a novel of less is more. So few words could tell such an amazing story. I really enjoyed the fact that we get glimpses of the past. We get to see how they met and little bits of what their relationship was like.

I felt so much for Ava. Once Jackson starts haunting her she thinks that she will be able to hold onto him and their relationship forever. She soon learns that there is so much more. Her friends and family try to pull her out of the depression that she has put herself in.

Overall this was incredibly amazing!!!  I will never shy away from a novel in verse. In fact, I will probably seek them out from here on out. If you are looking for a quick and completely engrossing read then this is the book for you!

Missy's rating -



4 comments:

  1. I haven't read Lisa Schroeder yet but verse novels are relatively new to me as well. I would definetly recommend Ellen Hopkins Impulse and Thalia Chaltas's Because I Am Furniture. Both are on hard subjects but the writing and stories are amazing ^-^ I'll be sure to pick this one up sometime soon! Thanks for the wonderful review!

    http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed the book! It really was a great read, and I can't wait to read more by Ms. Schroeder! :) Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always iffy about verse novels, I've only loved one so far, so I don't know if I'll try this one, but I'm glad you enjoyed it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. How have I not commented on this post yet... I read it a while ago. :P But I'm SO glad you loved this book! Like, ridiculously glad! Isn't Lisa AMAZING?! :) Sigh.

    As awesome as this book is, The Day Before is better, and Sonya Sones and Ellen Hopkins are both marvelous verse writers!

    ReplyDelete