Friday, July 22, 2011

Review - How It Ends by Laura Wiess

Title: How It Ends (Amazon)
Author: Laura Wiess
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group
Release Date: 2009
Pages: 368
Genre: YA, Adult Fiction
Source: Library

Laura Wiess, the acclaimed author who once brought us "a girl to walk alongside Harper Lee's Scout and J. D. Salinger's Phoebe" (Luanne Rice), brings us another memorable young woman, this one at the center of an extraordinary novel of how love ends, how it begins, and what it's worth to protect it...

All Hanna's wanted since sophomore year is Seth. She's gone out with other guys, even gained a rep for being a flirt, all the while hoping cool, guitar-playing Seth will choose her. Then she gets him -- but their relationship is hurtful, stormy and critical, not at all what Hanna thinks a perfect love should be. Bewildered by Seth's treatment of her and in need of understanding, Hanna decides to fulfill her school's community service requirement by spending time with Helen, her terminally ill neighbor, who she's turned to for comfort and wisdom throughout her life. But illness has changed Helen into someone Hanna hardly knows, and her home is not the refuge it once was. Feeling more alone than ever, Hanna gets drawn into an audiobook the older woman is listening to, a fierce, unsettling love story of passion, sacrifice, and devotion. Hanna's fascinated by the idea that such all-encompassing love can truly exist, and without her even realizing it, the story begins to change her.

Until the day when the story becomes all too real...and Hanna's world is spun off its axis by its shattering, irrevocable conclusion.
(Goodreads)

Kim’s Take: Wow! This book was so amazingly addicting! It was such a powerful book and nothing like I expected. It’s a story that will stick with me for quite a while. It takes you through so many emotions and the unbelievable ending had me crying.

The book starts with Hanna as a fifteen year old girl obsessed with Seth, a hot classmate with a reputation. When she finally becomes his girlfriend, the relationship with Seth is a roller-coaster ride. Seth seems to be emotionally abusive and critical and Hanna begins taking the brunt of his hurtfulness and going back for more.

Hanna also has an odd relationship with Jesse, an older guy she met at a friends keg party. Jesse has made it clear that she is too young for him, though they get a little hot and heavy at a party. Jesse turns up at various points throughout the story and you could feel the underlying desire between them. He was such a nice guy and the type of person Hanna should have been with.

Hanna has had a close relationship with her elderly neighbor, Helen, who has acted as her “grandmother” since she was a child. Helen has always been someone Hanna could count on and talk to. Helen has an extreme fondness for animals and insists on feeding and caring for any stray cats that show up and providing a safe place for deer to eat without the worry of hunters. This has rubbed off on Hanna and she becomes distressed every year at the start of the hunting season.

Over the years, Hanna has spent less and less time with Helen as she became a teenager and immersed in typical teenage activities and thinking. And Helen misses their time together terribly since she and her husband never had any children of their own.

As Helen’s health declines, Hanna determines she can help care for Helen as part of her volunteering requirements for school. By the time this happens, Helen, who has Parkinson’s Disease, is confined to a wheelchair and can no longer talk. Hanna plays audio books for Helen while caring for her and one of the stories, How It Ends, pulls Hanna in and gets her emotions flaring.

Unbeknownst to Hanna, it is the love story and unknown history of Helen and her husband. Helen began writing the story for Hanna when she discovered she had Parkinson’s and needed to dispel the lies she had told Hanna over the years. When Hanna asked questions as a child, Helen felt she could not tell her the painful truth and therefore painted a rosy picture of her life. Helen now realizes that if Hanna continues to believe the stories she has been told it will hurt her in the long run and could impede her happiness. Helen loves her too much to let that happen regardless of how Hanna may feel about her when she learns the truth

Though she and her husband had lived through unspeakable things, their love for each other was always strong and undying and saved them from a life of unhappiness, danger, and possible death. Neither could live without the other.  

I was pretty horrified at the ending and not prepared for it at ALL!

There is no one word that would describe this book. It was happy, sad, horrifying, anger inducing, and inspiring. This has become one of my favorite books and one that I could read again and again. I have loved all of Laura Wiess’ books but this one blew me away and is now my favorite from this amazing author. It deserves a rating much higher than a 5!

 Kim’s Rating: 5/5

23 comments:

  1. This synopsis of the book is very exciting. Your review is great! Definitely adding to me tbr pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with this book, but I've read this author before. I'm going to have to look this one up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this but I'm worried about your being horrified by the ending???
    Was it bad? or just unexpected?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The end wasn't bad at all and was actually reassuring but it WAS completely unexpected!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spot on with this write-up, I honestly believe this amazing site needs much more attention.
    I'll probably be returning to read through more, thanks for the info!

    Also visit my blog - opt email marketing
    My webpage :: marketing strategies

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is among the most vital info for me.
    And i'm glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general things, The website style is perfect, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

    Here is my page laser therapy quit smoking

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m not that much of a online reader to be
    honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up!

    I'll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later. Many thanks

    Feel free to surf to my weblog - estate marketing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I do think your blog could be having web browser
    compatibility issues. When I look at your web site in Safari, it looks fine
    however when opening in I.E., it's got some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Apart from that, wonderful website!

    my web site :: free online coupons

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always used to study post in news papers but now as I am a user of internet therefore from now I am using net for
    articles, thanks to web.

    My blog quitting smoking

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why visitors still use to read news papers when in this technological globe everything
    is existing on web?

    Feel free to visit my blog post - Daily Intake Values

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your website. It's a very easy
    on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit
    more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your
    theme? Fantastic work!

    Feel free to visit my web site http://soundspace.paprikart.fr/index.php?title=How_To_Make_Money_From_Home_With_A_Home_Business
    Also see my page: make money

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with
    hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I
    ended up losing several weeks of hard work
    due to no data backup. Do you have any methods to stop hackers?



    Here is my web-site; search engine

    ReplyDelete
  13. I visit each day a few web sites and websites to read articles
    or reviews, but this webpage gives feature based writing.


    Here is my blog online shopping canada

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's going to be finish of mine day, however before finish I am reading this fantastic post to improve my experience.

    Here is my weblog: business credit

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established blog.
    Is it very hard to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I'm thinking about making my own but I'm not sure where to begin. Do you have any points or suggestions? Thanks

    my homepage bank checks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks to my father who shared with me regarding this web site, this blog is truly remarkable.


    Also visit my web site - great tasting coffee

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up.

    The words in your content seem to be running off the screen in Firefox.

    I'm not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I figured I'd post to let you know.
    The layout look great though! Hope you get the issue resolved soon.
    Many thanks

    my web blog: gohima.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing! This blog looks just like my old one! It's on a totally different subject but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Great choice of colors!

    my web site ... Virtoffice.org

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey there! I just would like to offer you a big thumbs up for the excellent information you have right here on
    this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.


    Visit my web blog :: http://www.goldplatinumjewelry.net/the-trip-style-guide-for-your-family/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous, what a blog it is! This web site gives valuable facts to us,
    keep it up.

    Here is my homepage - Modcloth coupon

    ReplyDelete
  21. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote
    the book in it or something. I think that you can do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but instead of that,
    this is great blog. A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.



    my weblog - espaceclients.groupewib.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello mates, how is the whole thing, and what you desire to say regarding this piece of writing, in my view its genuinely amazing in
    support of me.

    Stop by my webpage: http://www.bestecigarettelist.org/online-clothing-related-articles/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I wanted to thank you for this fantastic read!! I absolutely enjoyed every bit of
    it. I've got you book marked to check out new stuff you post…

    Here is my web page ... http://re-visionfarm.org/new-fashion-trends-with-cheap-asian-clothing/

    ReplyDelete