Thursday, July 28, 2011

Review - The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1) by Kelley Armstrong

Title: The Gathering (Darkness Rising #1) (Amazon)
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Publisher: Harper (HarperCollins)
Release Date: 2011
Pages: 359
Genre: YA
Source: Library

Sixteen-year-old Maya is just an ordinary teen in an ordinary town. Sure, she doesn't know much about her background - the only thing she really has to cling to is an odd paw-print birthmark on her hip - but she never really put much thought into who her parents were or how she ended up with her adopted parents in this tiny medical-research community on Vancouver Island.

Until now.

Strange things have been happening in this claustrophobic town - from the mountain lions that have been approaching Maya to her best friend's hidden talent for "feeling" out people and situations, to the sexy new bad boy who makes Maya feel . . . .
different. Combine that with a few unexplained deaths and a mystery involving Maya's biological parents and it's easy to suspect that this town might have more than its share of skeletons in its closet.(Goodreads)

Kim’s Take: Wow. This is the first Kelley Armstrong book I have ever read and now I am a huge fan! She has a few other series out and I will be picking those up to try to make it until April 2012 when the second book in this series is expected to come out. That’s too long!

Maya has always been a smart, funny, strong, and popular girl. She was adopted after being left at a hospital in Oregon. She has a wonderful relationship with her parents. For her 16th birthday, her parents have agreed to let her get a tattoo over the light paw-print birthmark on her hip. She knows nothing of her past other than believing she is native based on her looks. Unfortunately, while they are in the city for the tattoo, a woman who spent time with natives declares that Maya is a witch.

Maya lives in a very small medical research town on Vancouver Island. When new kid, bad boy acting, player, Rafe, takes an interest in her, she finds herself surprised that she feels an attraction to him. As Rafe and Maya grow closer, Rafe will give Maya information that will completely change her life and view of who she is. It will help her to understand several things, including her rapport with wild animals and her ability to heal them rapidly.

At the end of this book, their island is being evacuated due to raging forest fires. Rafe is unconscious from smoke inhalation after searching for his lost sister. He never finds her. When Rafe, Maya, and Daniel are trying to escape the fire, they come across men posing as firefighters but it was easy to see this wasn’t the case since they were carrying automatic weapons. What is really happening on their little island and were the fires intentionally set by these men? I have to say that the end was a complete cliffhanger if there ever was one! I can’t even imagine what is going to happen next with Maya, Rafe, or her best friend Daniel. What will happen with Rafe when he wakes and discovers he was evacuated, leaving his lost sister behind? I only know I can’t WAIT to find out!

Kim’s Rating: 5/5

6 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, this sounds amazing! I loved Kelley Armstrong's Darkest Powers series, and I can't wait to pick this up. It sounds like an adventurous read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So glad you enjoyed this book! I love the series, it just amazing. The first three books are just as awesome. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this book too, but I hated the way the ending just cut off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this book, but I liked The Darkest Powers books a bit more - so far, like going head to head, Book 1 (The Gathering) vs Book 1 (The Summoning), I like The Summoning better - probably because I loved the tension between Chloe and Derek ;)

    However, I'm going to get my paws on book 2 as soon as it comes out, I wanna find out more about Daniel, Rafe and Maya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! I love this series all together! It was so good to read it and experience it different from the other books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for review. I haven't read this one yet, but I really enjoyed The Darkest Powers series. I didn't wanna give Derek up.

    ReplyDelete