Friday, July 1, 2011

Review - Enclave by Ann Aguirre


Title: Enclave (Razorland #1)
Author: Ann Aguirre
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Release date: April 12, 2011
Genre: YA
Pages:  259
Source:  Library
Buy the book:  Amazon / Barnes & Noble


Summary via Goodreads:

WELCOME TO THE APOCALYPSE

In Deuce’s world, people earn the right to a name only if they survive their first fifteen years. By that point, each unnamed ‘brat’ has trained into one of three groups–Breeders, Builders, or Hunters, identifiable by the number of scars they bear on their arms. Deuce has wanted to be a Huntress for as long as she can remember.

As a Huntress, her purpose is clear—to brave the dangerous tunnels outside the enclave and bring back meat to feed the group while evading ferocious monsters known as Freaks. She’s worked toward this goal her whole life, and nothing’s going to stop her, not even a beautiful, brooding Hunter named Fade. When the mysterious boy becomes her partner, Deuce’s troubles are just beginning.

Down below, deviation from the rules is punished swiftly and harshly, and Fade doesn’t like following orders. At first she thinks he’s crazy, but as death stalks their sanctuary, and it becomes clear the elders don’t always know best, Deuce wonders if Fade might be telling the truth. Her partner confuses her; she’s never known a boy like him before, as prone to touching her gently as using his knives with feral grace.

As Deuce’s perception shifts, so does the balance in the constant battle for survival. The mindless Freaks, once considered a threat only due to their sheer numbers, show signs of cunning and strategy… but the elders refuse to heed any warnings. Despite imminent disaster, the enclave puts their faith in strictures and sacrifice instead. No matter how she tries, Deuce cannot stem the dark tide that carries her far from the only world she’s ever known.
 



Missy's take - 

My love for dystopian novels is no secret. I LOVE them. I think it is incredible all of the new and unique ways authors are coming up with these new dystopian worlds. Enclave is yet another one that I have been hearing rave reviews about and I knew I had to read it as soon as I could.

Enclave had fantastic world building. I had so many vivid images on their surroundings and the history of everything. Well as much history as the characters were able to give given their circumstances. Living in tunnels under the city sounds incredibly creepy to me. I can't imagine living a life where I never see the daylight as these characters do. The world that they lived in was just so sheltered and frightening. It would be weird growing up literally without a mother and father. Not having a clear picture of what the world used to be like.

I also love when books make female character such strong heroines. Deuce was an amazing lead. She was strong and brave and wanted nothing more than to be a Huntress. I can't imagine the life she lived being anything more than completely depressing.

Fade was also pretty incredible himself. He was such a tortured soul. He was strong in so many situations, but I loved that we were able to see his softness shine through. All of that mixed with the fact that he is a fierce hunter makes him pretty darn swoonworthy in my mind.

All in all this was a very enjoyable read for me! While the ending left me feeling pretty satisfied there will be a sequel, Outpost, and I believe it is projected to be released in September 2012. I am pretty excited to see where she takes the story next!

Missy's rating -  

8 comments:

  1. I loved this book! I was hooked just by the first page alone! There is so much going on and the world is neat! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book too - more below ground than above, but still looking forward to the sequel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm... you are making it hard for me to pick my dystopian of the year book.
    (I only read one a year, it's all what my fragile-freak-out-prone psyche can handle).

    This one sounds cool!

    I think this one is definitely a contender, along with Divergent?

    :D

    Anyway, I'm glad you loved this book so much =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds amazing! I really can't wait to read it. Our library still hasn't gotten it in yet, but hopefully will soon! Thank you for sharing your review!!! I'm so glad you loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about how satisfying the ending of Enclave is! I thought it would have stood on it's own quite well.

    And Deuce, she rocked my world!

    Awesome review :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing today - I have been curious about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED Enclave... Duece was SO awesome, I loved her!!!
    The Bookish Brunette

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard such great things about this one, and I can't wait to read it! I absolutely love dystopian novels! I'm always amazed at how many there are, and how so many of them are still so unique and distinct. Great review!

    ReplyDelete