Friday, June 10, 2011

TGIF (3)


TGIF is hosted by the fabulous Ginger over at GReads! Head on over and link up!

This Friday's Question:
YA Saves: How do you feel about the "dark" books filling our YA shelves today?
I think that "dark" books are just as important, if not more, than any other books on the shelves today. These books bring awareness about things that teenagers are going through. Having had a little sister who was a "cutter" at one point in her life, I actually think reading a book about it would have helped her. Knowing that there are other people out there that struggle with the same issues that you have makes you feel less alone. Had she read something like this prior I can't help but believe that it may have steered her in another direction. Made her think twice about the decision that she made.

These "dark" books cover a lot of topics that people don't talk enough about. Bullying, suicide, self inflicted injury are just a couple of the important topics that could open up a teenagers mind to other options besides those. Anyway, I think they are extremely important and it's very upsetting that people would think they would be anything otherswise!

4 comments:

  1. *nods enthusiactially* I agree. The books are needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, they're really helpful to people that are in these type of situations and even to those around them, I wish I had books like these when I was a teen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this nutbunny is getting too much attention, on the other hand it is bringing the readers together causing something positive out of a negative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really read the darker books unless they come highly recommended. But I'm with you in that they often talk about things that need to be talked about.
    Sometimes you do need someone to steer you in the direction of something that maybe you rather don't think about but that it must be discussed.

    Again, darker books might not be my chosen genre, but I still think they got their space in the YA universe and that it should be respected.

    ReplyDelete