Saturday, June 4, 2011

Review - Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer

Title:  Wolfsbane
Author: Andrea Cremer
Publisher: Philomel
Release date: July 27, 2011
Pages: 400
Genre: YA
Source: I Read Banned Book Tours
Buy the book: Amazon / Barnes & Noble

Summary via Goodreads:
This thrilling sequel to the much-talked-about Nightshade begins just where it ended–Calla Tor wakes up in the lair of the Searchers, her sworn enemy, and she's certain her days are numbered. But then the Searchers make her an offer–one that gives her the chance to destroy her former masters and save the pack–and the man–she left behind. Is Ren worth the price of her freedom? And will Shay stand by her side no matter what? Now in control of her own destiny, Calla must decide which battles are worth fighting and how many trials true love can endure and still survive. 
Missy's take - 

I was so excited to get an opportunity to read Wolfsbane before it's release! I just recently finished up Nightshade, which I absolutely loved and was so thankful that I didn't have to wait to long to read the next one in the series.

Wolfsbane starts off where Nightshade ended. Calla and Shay have been taken by the Searchers. We begin to learn a lot about what has happened in the past that has gotten everyone to the point where they currently are. This one started off a little slow for me. There was A LOT of information to take in at the beginning. It was very important for the story though, so I can totally understand why it was there. That being said, the slowness of the beginning was my only real issue. Well besides Ren not being in it near as as much as I would have liked!

Calla still has a lot of inner struggle going on. She is trying hard to still figure out her feelings where Shay and Ren are concerned. That along with worrying about what has happened to her pack and Ren since she left completely consumes her. She so badly wants to get to them and makes things right. She feels that everything that happens or has happened is all her fault. Calla is still working hard to feel any trust at all for the Searchers who claim that they are trying to help her.

I have to say that I really didn't care for Shay in this one. He has always been slightly whiny to me, but in this one it seems even more so. He kind of drove me crazy with his possessiveness. I really enjoyed the new characters that were brought in to this one and the fact that everything is based in a brand new location. Cremer's description of everything is so awesomely detailed that you could practically visualize things through Calla's eyes. Even when she described scents at times I swore that I could smell them.

Again, just like in Nightshade, we are left with quite a cliffhanger. I am excited to see where to story goes in the next book. I really can't wait for the mixture of characters from both of the books and the intermix of all of their super strong personalities!

Missy's rating -

6 comments:

  1. OH, I got on a book tour for this one! Super excited to read it!! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked the book so much, one of my friends loved Nightshade and was nervous about how good this good be.

    I love this cover too, I don't like the other one I've seen floating around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read Nightshade first!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really looking forward to reading this! Glad that you enjoyed it, even if Shay was whiney. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished Wolfsbane yesterday and agree with you on a lot of this, although I am still Team Shay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are one lucky girl to read this one early! Holy smokes, I just ADORED Nightshade and there is no doubt in my mind (especially after your review) that I'll love this book. Team Ren all the way!

    ReplyDelete