Friday, June 3, 2011

Review - Where I Belong by Gwendolyn Heasley


Title: Where I Belong (Amazon)
Author: Gwendolyn Heasley
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: 2011
Pages: 289
Genre: YA
Source: Library

Meet Corrinne. She's living every girl's dream in New York City—shopping sprees at Barneys, open access to the best clubs and parties, and her own horse at the country club. Her perfect life is perfectly on track. At least it was. . . .
When Corrinne's father is laid off, her world suddenly falls apart. Instead of heading to boarding school, she's stripped of her credit cards and shipped off to the boonies of Texas to live with her grandparents. On her own in a big public school and forced to take a job shoveling manure, Corrinne is determined to get back to the life she's supposed to be living. She doesn't care who she stomps on in the process. But when Corrinne makes an unlikely friend and discovers a total hottie at work, she begins to wonder if her life B.R.—before the recession—was as perfect as it seemed. (Goodreads)




Kim’s Take:

This was such a cute, fast read. And I really liked all of the characters. Corrine is your typical, spoiled, bratty New York teenager. Shopping is her sport and cost is no consideration since she possesses credit cards provided by her parents. She is living the high life, attending private school, and totally excited about going to Kent Boarding School with her best friend, Waverly. At this point, Corrine is not a very likeable character and rather full of herself and sarcastic.

Her world is turned upside down after a family meeting where her father informs the family that he has lost his job to the recession and their saving to a Ponzi scheme. Corrine, instead of Kent Boarding School, will be shipped off to Broken Spoke in Texas, where her mother grew up. She has only seen her grandparents a few times when they came to New York. Though she is upset she is being taken from her friends, Kent Boarding School, and shopping, she is in no way prepared for the small, hick town she will be going to with her little brother and is completely shocked at what she sees and the living arrangements she will have to endure.

Though she plots, on a daily basis, the ways she will escape the small town, she soon finds herself reluctantly becoming more involved in town life and soon meets a boy she is hot for which gives her a mission to distract herself. She will get the guy because Corrine always gets what Corrine wants.

When Corrine immerses herself in vamping up the town’s rodeo and gets closer to the only friend she has made, she begins to change little by little. During a visit from Waverly, who is enviously attending Kent Boarding School, Corrine finds herself surprisingly defending the people and small town from Waverly’s disparaging and sarcastic remarks regarding Corrine’s current life.   

The book ultimately turns into a feel good story and I was actually really hoping it would end differently but was still happy with how everything seemed to work out. Corrine came to realize what the important things in life really were and it was heart-warming to “see” it happen.

This would definitely be a great beach read!

Kim’s Rating -

10 comments:

  1. I keep picking it up and putting it back down when I go to bookstores. Good reivew, I think I'll give it a try now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I have been wanting to pick up this book. And super great that it is a summer read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at beach read! I just got a copy of this one a few weeks ago. I will definitely have to bring it on vacation with me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds really cute! I like it.
    And I loved the cover, even though yellow is my second least favorite color.

    :) It just seems like a nice, summery read. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I probably would have liked t his one more if I would have been in the mood for it! You're right though, such a cute easy read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one seems so sweet and summery. I keep hoping I'll bump into it at the bookstore. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh, I wanna read this. I really love books like this sometimes. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of those books that I thought sounded really cute from the description and it's been on my WL (my mental one at least) since it came out. I'm glad it was good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I've heard a lot of mixed reviews for it, but I'm still hoping that when I read it I'll like it. I think going in with lower expectations might help a bit. Thanks for the review. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome review! I bought this one a months ago but have yet to read it. It sounds super cute almost like Hannah Montana The Movie-ish (but that's alright b/c I love the movie!)

    ReplyDelete