Thursday, June 30, 2011

Review - Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion


Title: Warm Bodies
Author: Isaac Marion
Publisher:Atria
Release date:  April 26, 2011
Pages: 241
Genre: Adult
Source: Library
Buy the book: Amazon / Barnes & Noble

Summary via Goodreads:
A zombie who yearns for a better life ends up falling in love—with a human—in this astonishingly original debut novel.

R is a zombie. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he has dreams. He doesn’t enjoy killing people; he enjoys riding escalators and listening to Frank Sinatra. He is a little different from his fellow Dead.

Not just another zombie novel, Warm Bodies is funny, scary, and deeply moving.
  


Missy's take -

This has to be one of the first books that I have read in a while that has just left me feeling sort of neutral. I didn't hate it, but I didn't think it was particularly great either. They story had a very interesting premise. A zombie that actually has thoughts and feelings, but it just felt like something was missing to me. It didn't have that "thing" that normally sucks me into a story.

I will say that I went into this one expecting a lot. I try and never do that, but I have read a couple of zombie books lately that I absolutely loved. It just didn't seem to captivate me the way that the other books did. A lot of the time I find it very hard to put a book down, but with this one it wasn't much of a struggle. I don't say this to make it sound like I didn't like it at all, because I did enjoy reading it. I guess that it wasn't that kind of book that sticks with me and makes me yearn for more.

I really did like character of R. A zombie that actually starts to have feelings and emotion. He doesn't remember who he was, but knows only what he has become. He has no idea how long he has been a zombie or how he died. After saving the girlfriend of a guy that he ate he begins to develop feelings for her and she for him. He has memories of her from the past from eating the brains of her boyfriend. All he really cares about his protecting her from other zombies. 

Like I said it was an interesting story with an equally interesting premise, but it just didn't grab me the way a lot of books have lately. I know that I have seen a ton of reviews where people loved it though.


Missy's rating - 
 

13 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear this book didn't grab your interest. I always hate starting a book when I have high expectations, and then being left feeling unsatisfied. Thanks for sharing your honest review on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this book, but like you - didn't love it. The best part was the language and the philosophical ideas expressed by the characters. It made me think, even when the plot itself wasn't doing it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thrilled to see a different point of view for this book - I've seen a lot of super positive reviews that make me really excited to read it. After seeing this, I'll be a little more wary :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was one of the ones who really loved this book. I thought it was a quick, easy read that was an interesting take on a zombie story. I thought a zombie with a conscience was a brilliant idea!...but then again, I adore zombie books and movies. I have recommended this book to everybody that will listen to me and found that while everyone didn't necessarily appreciate it as *much* as I did, they did really like R's character and conscience. I did, however, wish it was a little longer and that there was just a little more in the way of what happened next (at the end). Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate it so much when people are honest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, I'm sorry it didn't grab you. because it sounded interesting - though I am getting the feeling that zombies are all around - and I liked it in theory.

    *sigh*
    Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this review! I have been wanting to pick this book up but was unsure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah too bad you didn't love this one but I'm glad you liked R. I loved the different view of zombies, I think that's why I liked it so much. Great honest review! =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for honest review... Zombies aren't really my thing usually, and though this one sounds interesting, I'll think carefully before committing to review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard really good things about this one, but I think that's part of why I haven't picked it up, I worry it won't live up to my expectations. I'm glad to read your review though, it's nice to get a differing perspective:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard AWESOME things about this one... I don;t know why I haven't read it yet! Now I;m worried! ;)
    The Bookish Brunette

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! I had to share the 3rd paragraph with my husband and he said, "Man, things would get really messed up if he ate the brains of her dad now." OMG. That comment alone made this my favorite review this week. lol That is an interesting premise, you are right. It does sound like it has a lot of creative potential. Too bad it didn't captivate you as a reader as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect timing with this review! I just got this in the mail a couple of days ago :)

    And I hate when you just can't get into a book. I always wonder if it's my mood especially when everyone else has loved it! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The premise for this one definitely got me hooked. I hope to still read this one, and hopefully I'll be able to get into the story. Thanks for your honest review!

    ReplyDelete