Saturday, June 11, 2011

Review - Paradise by Jill S. Alexander


Title:  Paradise
Author: Jill S. Alexander
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Release date: Jul y 5, 2011
Pages: 256
Genre: YA
Source: I Read Banned Book Tours
Buy the book: Amazon / Barnes & Noble


Summary via Goodreads: 
Paisley Tillery is the drummer for a country rock band. If they can make it to the stage at the Texapalooza music fest, then Paisley will be closer to her dream of a career in music and a ticket out of her small Texas town.
Drumming and music are what Paisley has always wanted. Until the band gets a new lead singer, the boy from Paradise, Texas. With Paradise in her life, what Paisley wants, and what she needs, complicate her dreams coming true.

Missy's take - 

Paisley is the drummer in a band. Unfortunately it has to be kept secret because her mother would never approve. She thinks that by making it to Texapalooza and hopefully winning, she can prove to her mother that she is really good. The only problem is that their band lacks one very important thing, a lead singer. Enter Gabriela, or Paradise as Paisley likes to call him based on where he comes from. He's cocky, but he's good. So good that they believe they have a chance to win.

I loved all the relationships that the characters had in this book. The blossoming romance between Paisley and Paradise. The understanding that Paisley has with her sister, Lacey. The unspoken honesty she shares with her dad. He knows she is in a band, but he is letting her wait for the time she wants to tell her mother.

Paisley was so easy to relate to. Wanting to follow her dreams and being slightly afraid of consequences. What her mother would think or do. If it would ever get her out of her small town. She was slightly sarcastic and I loved her.

What I really didn't like was the ending. There were several chapters there at the end that I really did not think were necessary. As much as I loved the book this kind of spoiled it for me. It didn't fit with the rest of the story in my mind. Of course I can't give any details, because that would give things away, but I was totally bummed.

Overall it was a really great story. Unfortunately, due mostly to the ending, I have to give it a 3.5.

Missy's rating -

10 comments:

  1. Don't you hate it when a book is on a great roll and then BAM! Something that could have been changed with editing ruins the whole feel? I like th cover though, looks all relationship-py. The guy's name is Gabriela? Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I didn't like the ending either. I thought it would be fine if you just skipped the last few chapters... totally unnecessary--the plot was already complete, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the ending thing does sounds like a bummer.
    And is the boy named Gabriela?
    LOL

    It still sounds like a nice book though, and I got a book by this author on my TBR so if I like that one - Sweetheart of Proper County - I'll check out this one too.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't really read book about musicin them! This books sounds good.I may pick it up! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard mixed things on this one... but I still totally want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, how disappointing! I hate it when I'm loving a book and then the ending just ruins it. I wish there was a memory scrub so you could go back and just erase those last few chapters from your memory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, sorry you didn't care for the ending! That's no fun. Sounds like an interesting read, thanks for sharing your review with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I gotta read this ending! Everyone loves the book, but not so much the ending! Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard enough GREAT things about the beginning of this book to know that I have to read it. Aside from whatever issue may be at the ending it still sounds great! Am I going to be heartbroken with the ending of this one? If so I may just end the book at a happy part! Great review!
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh. I agree! Things were going SO perfectly there. I thought this story was brilliant. But, I had heard in EVERY review of this that I'd read that the ending was killer... So I was scared and then... Ugh. I was not a fan of that ending. :(

    ReplyDelete