Monday, June 6, 2011

Review - Happy Birthday to Me by Brian Rowe


Title: Happy Birthday to Me 
Author: Brian Rowe
Publisher: Self published
Release Date: April 7, 2011
Genre:YA
Pages: 316
Source: Review copy from author
Buy the book: Amazon / Barnes & Noble

Summary via Goodreads: 
Seventeen-year-old Cameron Martin has a huge problem: he’s aging a whole year of his life with each passing day!

High school is hard enough; imagine rapidly aging from seventeen to seventy in a matter of weeks, with no logical explanation, and with prom, graduation, and the state championship basketball game all on the horizon. That’s what happens to Cameron, a popular pretty boy who's never had to face a day looking anything but perfect.

All Cameron wants to do is go back to normal, but no one, not even the best doctors, can diagnose his condition. When he finds love with a mysterious young woman, however, he realizes his only hope for survival might be with the one person who started his condition in the first place...


Missy's take - 

Cameron is exactly how you would imagine a high school jock to be. Popular, arrogant and going out with the hottest girl in school. All he cares about is finally sleeping with his girlfriend, Charisma and taking his high school basketball team to the finals his senior year. He is selfish and doesn't have time for anything that he doesn't want to do.

All of this changes however, when he realizes that he is aging rapidly. Like a year older a day rapidly. I loved how the chapters in each book portrayed him at each age. We are along the journey with him through his 20's and 30's and so on. We see the struggles that he goes through to try and find a cure for the disease and to attempt to continue living his teenage life in the process. He slowly starts to come to the realization that maybe he wasn't as great as he originally thought. That maybe there are more important things in life then his hot girlfriend.

It was really nice to see him progress as a character. Kind of learning all of the mistakes of his past. It was just unfortunate that it took a life threatening disease to make him wake up. He eventually finds out the source of this deadly curse on him and battles to get his life back before it is gone too soon.

Overall I really enjoyed this one. It was a really quick read for me and kept me interested throughout. There are some paranormal elements to the story and I love how unique the plot was. From my understanding this is part of a trilogy and the next book, Happy Birthday to Me Again, is scheduled to be released sometime in September of this year. I can't wait to see where the story goes!

Missy's rating - 

11 comments:

  1. I've seen this book before on Goodreads, but never really stopped to read about it. It really does sound like an interesting read! I'm glad to see you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound good! I too have seen it around, but never really stopped to check it out!! But I will now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have never thought it was from a male POV with the cover. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds really cool, and I love the cake on the cover - but lets face it, I love cake period.

    Thanks for the review, I hadn't heard about this book before :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the review request for this book but it really didn't sound that interesting to me. I am much more intrigued from reading your review! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does sound very unique, I'm intrigued. Thanks for the great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed the whole concept of the book. I though the way it turn Cameron's heart into something different, made it so easy to fall into. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was asked to read this one, but I declined because I thought it wouldn't be executed well. I'm glad to see I was wrong! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the review, you have certainly peaked my interest in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's funny because when you see this cover I instantly thought girl, I had to clue it was from a males perspective! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never even heard of this book before! It kind of reminds me of a mix between the movie Big and Beastly! Will need to be checking this one out :)

    ReplyDelete