Thursday, June 23, 2011

Review - Die For Me by Amy Plum

Title: Die For Me (Revenants #1)
Author: Amy Plum
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release date:  May 10, 2011
Pages: 341
Genre: YA
Source: Gifted
Buy the book: Amazon / Barnes & Noble

Summary via Goodreads: 
In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

In this incandescent debut, newcomer Amy Plum has created a powerful paranormal mythology with immortal revenants. The Paris setting comes enchantingly alive as a relentless struggle between good and evil takes place in its streets. Rich with romance, atmosphere, and thrills, Die for Me will leave readers breathlessly awaiting its sequel
  


Missy's take - 

Die For Me ended up being a surprise read for me. I had seen a mix of reviews on it, but decided I would give it a shot anyway. A friend gifted me with a copy and I dug right in. I ending up totally adoring this story.

Kate is living in Paris with her grandparents after the death of her mother and father. She is depressed and going through a very rough period after the loss. She separates herself from people and spends her time reading books so that she can escape the reality she is in. After some encouragement from her family she ends up spending some time in area cafes reading. They figure that it will at least get her out of the house. This is where she first spots Vincent. He is extremely attractive, mysterious and, she feels, completely out of her league.

The relationship that she had with Vincent progressed way more quickly then what I normally prefer. While insta love doesn't generally deter me from a book or the story, I do get a little tired of it. I like a book that actually builds the relationship with the characters. I like them to have more elements to the relationship rather than instant attraction to one another and nothing else to really base it on.

Overall, looking past the insta love, I really did enjoy the story itself. The whole aspect of the revenants that are a different kind of "zombie-like" character. Most of the supporting characters were extremely likable. I am looking forward to checking out the next in the series!

Missy's rating - 
 

13 comments:

  1. I have this one from the library. I'll have to read it now after reading your review-I've been iffy on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one because of the idea of revenants - something new in the paranormal world - and because of the supporting characters. I love books where there's a strong family element as there is with Vincent's fellow revenants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews for this one too but I think I'm still going to give it a try. It does sound really good except for the insta love, I love to see the love grow too, sometimes insta love does fit perfectly into some stories. Thanks for the great review! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree with Cynthia, sometimes insta love works and sometimes it doesn't... I think everyone mostly likes this book every one just has different degrees of liking it lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book! Vincent is my man!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed this, Missy! I thought it was an enjoyable read as well. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't crazy about this book, I felt the author's writing seemed a little amateur and the whole continued reference to "zombies" and "monsters" by the main character became annoying. Additionally, Kate's character was difficult to identify with.

    I did like the setting, Paris, and enjoyed reading about all of her travels there. I am looking forward to the next book but am hoping that her writing style changes some!

    Thanks for your review, I always enjoy your blog :)

    Check out my blog for my review:
    http://everydayadventure11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard lots of mixed reviews on it too and I've been trying to make up my mind about it. On one hand, Insta-Love puts me off, on the other there is Paris.

    *sigh*

    I dunno, your review does tip it a little toward the read side of the board.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been wanting to read this one for a while. Thank you for sharing today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally JUST found out it was a zombie book last week dude! SO excited! Hopefully I can work it in before Zombie Craze is over!
    The Bookish Brunette

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed this one too - more than I thought I would!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not had a chance to read this one yet but I guess I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews as well but I still want to try this book out. I am thinking that I will like it :)
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete