Thursday, June 9, 2011

Review - Dead Spell by Belinda S. Frisch

Title: Dead Spell (Volume 1) (Amazon)
Author: Belinda S. Frisch
Publisher: CreateSpace
Release Date: 2011
Pages: 198
Genre: YA, Horror
Source: Author

17-year-old Harmony Wolcott is slowly succumbing to the haunting darkness of a forgotten memory. Afraid to ask for help or admit what's happening to her and around her, Harmony looks for the truth while trying to escape what it's done to her family.

Dead Spell is about a ghost with a past and a girl that would die to forget it.
(Goodreads)



Kim’s Take – This was a really good story with lots of twists and turns to keep you on your toes. 17-year-old Harmony has a pretty sad and pathetic life. Her mother suffers from schizophrenia, is a drug addict, and sleeps with men for money. They often have no power in the run-down trailer they live in. Harmony does not know who her father is and seems to be the parent in what little relationship she has with her mother. And now, Harmony is beginning to have issues of her own.

She is being haunted by a ghost named Tom, who forces her to self-injure. She is scared people will think she is crazy like her mother if she tells anyone so the only other person who knows is her best friend since childhood, Brea. Harmony and Brea couldn’t be more different. Brea’s family is influential and she lives in a nice house.  She is a good girl who doesn’t smoke, do drugs, or have sex. These are all things that Harmony does on a regular basis. And she doesn’t seem to mind getting Brea in trouble.

Harmony’s boyfriend, Adam, is older than Harmony but is trying to save her from herself and provide the stability she needs. The harder he tries to help her, the harder she pushes back.

Harmony knows the only way she can try to save herself from Tom is by trying to figure out who he was and what he wants from her. But time is running out and each attack is bringing her closer to death. And then it is too late.

Adam and Brea are left to figure out what has happened and why. And the story got more exciting and interesting the closer I got to the end. It ended really good, and not at all how I thought it would go.

The only trouble I had was relating to some of the characters. I guess the fact that Brea and Adam seemed to take so much crap from Harmony, and just kept coming back for more, was something I couldn’t relate to that well because I don’t know anyone who would put up with so much or continually put themselves out for someone like that. It just seemed unrealistic. But, at the same time, Harmony was so mentally out of it towards the end that I was happy someone was there for her and stuck by her side, though she didn’t seem to appreciate any of it.

This is apparently a first book in a series and I’m curious as to where the story will go from this point. I would really be interested in reading anything by the author that furthers the story.

I really liked Frisch’s style of writing which was easy to follow and alternated between Brea and Harmony narrating. It’s great for those of you who like an exciting, mysterious, and scary book that is a quick and easy read. I read it in one sitting because, once I’m involved in a story, I have to know what is going to happen next!
  

Kim’s Rating –

5 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this title before. Yeah, id probably walk away if i started feeling abused as a friend. Would have to be a pretty strong tie to keep me there. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds very interesting, not at all what I usually read but I'm intrigued.

    But I agree with the 'taking crap from Harmony' part, it's not the kind of thing I would do so that would be hard for me to understand,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear this book is good! I have it to read soon. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, I haven't heard of this one before! Sounds interesting! I'm totally not a fan of scary, but it does sound good. :) Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting book - thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete