Thursday, May 19, 2011

Review - Zombies Don't Cry by Rusty Fischer

Title: Zombies Don't Cry
Author: Rusty Fischer
Publisher: Medallion Press
Release date: May 1, 2011
Pages: 371
Genre: YA
Source: Author
Buy the book: Amazon

Summary via Goodreads:
In the sleepy small town of Barracuda Bay, Maddy Swift leads the life of a fairly typical teenager, but while attending a party one night, Maddy is struck by lightning and awakens to realize she has been reanimated and turned into a zombie. While becoming acquainted with her new "lifestyle," Maddy stumbles upon two unexpected undead chaperones, fellow students Dane and Chloe, who begin to teach her the ways of zombie life, including defending the populace from Zerkers—the bad zombies. Together, on prom night, the three teens must ultimately defend Barracuda Bay High from an all-out zombie Armageddon.

Missy's take - 

Wow people! Rusty Fischer has officially become one of my favorite authors! Zombies Don't Cry was such a fun, hilarious take on a zombie world. If I had been able, I would have totally read this in one sitting. I carried it with me everywhere and read it every single second I got even if it was only a page!

A few chapters into the book we find out that zombies are "created" after some sort of electrical shock. Such is the case for Maddy when she is struck by lightning. The thing is that they are pretty much just like you and me except, of course, they are the undead and they need to eat brains. When a zombie is turned by another zombie though, they are know as "Zerkers". These are the crazy zombies that want to run around eating people and giving those good zombies a bad name!

After being turned Maddy finds out that there are all sorts of rules to being a zombie. For example, she can't date a Normal even though she has being eying the new kicker for the football team, Stamp. There is even a book on how to be a zombie, appropriately titled, The Guide to the Proper Care and Feeding of Zombies, 24th Edition

Maddy has to be one of the most hilarious main characters I have ever read in a book. She was funny and witty and completely sarcastic. Who doesn't love a hilariously sarcastic character? She also had an awesome comeback to anything that was thrown at her and she was a tough girl to boot. She is someone that I would totally want as a best friend! 

This was a total laugh out loud read for me. I absolutely love those kind. I know you know what I mean. Like when you are sitting in the waiting room at your doctors office and totally laughing, then you notice everyone is staring at you like you are a crazy person because you didn't realize you were really laughing out loud? Yeah, that kind. That was totally me the other day.
 
Rusty Fischer is one heck of an amazing author and I will be grabbing up any books that he puts out in the future. This one will definitely be sitting my "favorites" section of my bookshelf and I will also be leaving a spot open for his next book, Vamplayers, which comes February 2012.

Overall this was a brilliant book. It was full of amazingness! Zombies, comedy, action and a dash of romance! I can't ask for a whole lot more!


Missy's rating - 

5 comments:

  1. Definitely a friggin awesome book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is going on my to read list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep! This is SO one of my FAV reads of 2011! LOVED every second of ZDC!! Great review chick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to find well-informed people on this subject, but you seem liuke you know what you're talking about!

    Thanks

    My web site ... Anxiety Disorder Icd 9

    ReplyDelete