Saturday, May 7, 2011

Review - Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Title: Where She Went (If I Stay #2)
Author: Gayle Forman
Publisher: Dutton
Release Date: April 5th, 2011
Pages: 264
Genre: YA
Source: Publisher via NetGalley

Summary via Goodreads: 
It's been three years since the devastating accident ... three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Julliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future - and each other.
Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.
 
Missy's take - (May contain spoilers if you haven't read If I Stay)

Wow, wow, wow. There isn't much more that I can say about this. I read Where She Went immediately after finishing If I Stay.  It was equal part breathtakingly beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. This is one where I cried a lot so be prepared for tears.

Where She Went is told  in the POV of Adam, Mia's now ex-boyfriend, 3 years after the fatal accident that took her family. Adam has become a rock star and Mia has gone of to Julliard to become a rock star in her own right. Adam is still having trouble overcoming the way that Mia left him. He is exhausted and wore out from where this rock star life has taken him. Tours and interviews are starting to get the best of him.

The day before he embarks on a tour overseas he runs into Mia again. Feeling all the same feelings he had for her in the past and wondering what it was he did so wrong for her to leave and never come back to him. Thinking maybe he will finally get the answers he needs and the "closure" his current girlfriend thinks will help him move on.

I was so glad this one was told from Adam's POV. Much like If I Stay it is told alternating the present time and the past. We find out what has happened in the 3 years since the car accident and Mia deciding to stay. In If I Stay you could only imagine what he was going though, but in Where She Went we are actually able to feel everything Adam went through. He feels like he lost his family too. He still hurts for them and misses them everyday. Most of all he misses Mia and what they had. It broke my heart to think of all the pain that he was going through.   


I didn't think there was anyway that a novel could affect me the way that If I Stay did, but boy was I wrong. This is one of those books that I will be thinking about for a very long time.  It is so incredible how an author can write with SO much feeling. Your heart breaks for these people you feel as if you know. Just thinking about it right now makes me want to blubber like a baby.

I suggest if you haven't read it yet that you hurry up and do it!


Missy's rating - 

9 comments:

  1. I still haven't finished If I Stay... It's so sad! After she found out her baby brother was dead I had to take a break! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um that comment above mine is bit spoilerish, lol. Great review Missy! I think I loved Where She Went more than If I Stay. It really appealed to me seeing it through Adam's eyes. He is by far one of my FAVORITE characters, ever. Yeah - that good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agreed with the comment above me. lol
    I thought If I Stay was really good, but this one is pure awesomeness. I love Gayle for writing this in Adam's POV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this one even more than If I Stay too, it was so amazingly beautiful and Adam *swoon* Love him!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one was also amazing. I didn't cry during this book (I cried the WHOLE time in If I Stay) and I didn't find it quite as emotionally gripping/moving as If I Stay, but I LOVED it. I thought it was brilliant, and perfect, and completely beyond amazing! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really can't wait to read this. I loooooved If I Stay. Unfortunately, our library still hasn't gotten this in yet. :/ I'm hoping to read it soon though! Love your review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm getting to this one, I swear!! :) I just can't wait for it!!! :D Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just starting reading the book so I'll admit I skimmed your review a bit to keep the surprise, but I'm excited to discover this book from Adam's POV!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post, Thanks for your very useful Information, I will bookmark for next reference

    ReplyDelete