Saturday, May 14, 2011

Review - Shimmerspell (A Faerie Tale Girl Novella) by Kimberly Spencer

Title: Shimmerspell (A Faerie Tale Girl Novella)
Author: Kimberly Spencer
Publisher: self published
Release date: April 8th, 2011
Pages: 21,700 words

Genre: YA
Source: ebook from author for review
Buy the book: Amazon

Summary via Goodreads:
Sixteen-year-old Jensen Meadows hands out tall tales like a vending machine. After all, with a con-artist for a big sister, she knows the value of a well executed lie. But when she overhears a murder confession at school and is abandoned by her sister, Jensen learns three new things:

Drinking Red Bull isn't the only way to get wings: The faerie realm is real, and it still hasn't gotten over King Arthur's death.

Shimmerspell, the power to move between the mortal and faerie realms, is lost.

And somehow, her sister is tied to it all.

With the help of a few teenage light-elves, Jensen searches for the truth in a sea of lies and begins to suspect that her whole life has been the tallest tale of them all.


Missy's take - 

When Kimberly contacted me to review this for her I was all up for it. Faeries?? Heck yes! As soon as I received the book I decided to read a couple of pages to see what it was like. Those couple of pages turned into reading the whole thing in one sitting. I realize that this is only a novella, but I could not get enough!

Spencer created these amazing characters. Jensen, the main character, is absolutely fantastic. She was the kind of girl you could totally see yourself being friends with. She was written so realistically. I loved Jensen's best friend Zoe. She had the most funny and sarcastic dialogue. Some of the things she said literally had me laughing out loud. An example being, "You kind of lose the right to bitch someone out when you're no longer slapping groins." Just typing that made me laugh again!

Jensen is a 16 year old high schooler and, as if being a 16 year old is awkward enough, she has to deal with a con artist sister who has them constantly moving from one place to the next. She also finds it strange that she is always being singled out by her teacher, Mr Tanner, who somehow always knows when she is lying. She is also busy trying to discover why Zoe's sister hates her so much and figuring out the mysterious boy who is suddenly interested in her.

After a number of events take place, which I won't elaborate on since I don't want to give anything away, Jensen's sister Lauren disappears. Suddenly Jensen is thrown into a faerie world she never knew existed and it's seems her sister may have known about all along. Shimmerspell, the ability to move between worlds, is missing and everyone thinks that Jensen is partially to blame. The plot was fun, fast and intense. We are talking life and death situations!

I also loved the dialogue. It a lot of the YA books I read the dialogue seems to old or young for the characters they are portraying, but I think her depiction was pretty spot on. I had so many quotes from this book that I loved.

Along with the brilliant characters and dialogue was the plot. It was interesting and totally original. It was such a fun read and I HIGHLY recommend it!

My only complaint about this one? It wasn't near long enough. I wanted more! I still do! She is currently working on the follow up, Limerick, and I can't wait for it. Check out the cover below.

 It's stunning right? I love it!


OOOOh she also has a trailer for the book! Check it out below!


Missy's rating -

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun book, I'll have to look for it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed reading this!! It sounds really awesome! :) Love your review, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! This looks awesome and that cover is GORGEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, do you know how much I have missed your blog? Way too much! I promise to never get out of hand like that again. I almost missed reading this super awesome review on a novella that sounds spectacular. I haven't read many stories about faeries so I am waiting to be impressed!

    ReplyDelete