Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Review - Released by Megan Duncan

Title: Released
Author: Megan Duncan
Publisher: Self published
Release date: March 19, 2011
Pages: 260
Genre: YA
Source: Purchased 
Buy the book: Amazon

Summary via Goodreads:
After a demon apocalypse kills their parents and everyone they know, 17-year old Abby Phillips, her brother, Carter, and friend, Max flee their home to travel through what has become the wastelands of America. When radio transmissions of a resistance offering shelter and safety cease, Abby is tempted to give up. Struggling to overcome life-threatening obstacles in their dangerous journey, Abby and her companions quickly discover there are much worse things lurking in the dark than they could have ever imagined  


Missy's take - 

I have been so in love with dystopian novels lately. It all started with The Hunger Games last year. Released just made my love for dystopians continue to grow!

Released takes place in a world where demon animals roam the Earth. There are several different types and we learn about them as the story moves along. The most common are the demon hounds. These demon creatures hide everywhere and survive off of eating humans.

Our MC, Abby, is one of the few living humans left. She along with her brother Carter and his best friend Max, decide they are going to leave the safety of the home that they have been staying in and head to New Mexico where radio transmissions have promised safety and help by the military. Abby is a fantastic lead. She was both strong and weak. She kept the weakness inside though and only let her strength show. Although I have obviously never been in the situation she is in, I can totally see myself feeling and reacting in similar ways. I felt like I was really able to connect with her as a character.

The world the author created was both intriguing and incredibly frightening. All of the people they manage to find make them suspicious of their motives. In a world with so few people there is still an issue of trust.  You have to be extremely smart and prepared for any situation in order to survive.You never really know who or what is out to get you at any one time.

The story moved very along smoothly. Nothing seemed forced. There was action at all the right times and it had me on the edge of my seat just about the entire time. The action scenes were fantastic and there was such great detail that you almost feel like you are right there fighting off the demons with them.

Overall, I thought this was a fantastic read. If you are looking for a the kind of book you can read in one sitting then this would be the one! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. We are also left with a nice cliffhanger too. The next book in the series is due out this fall!

Missy's rating -

9 comments:

  1. I'm loving dystiopians too, it's one of my favorite genres but this one sounds pretty original, I like the idea of demon animals, haven't read one with that concept yet. Great review! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great book! I'll had to add it to my pile! Also great job with the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review. This book sounds very interesting. I love to throw a dystopian into my reading every now and then so I'll write this one down.

    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review Missy :) I have this one on my really, really, really want to read list! I have yet to read a dystopian novel (I feel I can't even call myself a book addict since I have not read The Hunger Games yet) but this one really sounds great!
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've really started loving Dystiopians as well! I totally didn't think I would though. This sounds great! I will totally be checking it out. Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it sounds really good, even though I'm not a dystopian sort of girl, I want to read this.
    It reminds me a little of I AM LEGEND which I loved - save for the dog part, there my sister had to cover my eyes, I couldn't watch.

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this book! It's one of my favourites this year. The cover is amazing too. :D

    ComaCalm's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the review Missy! I can't wait for book 2 :D

    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've totally been wanting to read this!!!!

    ReplyDelete