Monday, May 30, 2011

Review - A Need So Beautiful by Suzanne Young

Title: A Need So Beautiful
Author: Suzanne Young
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Release Date: June 21st, 2011
Pages: 252
Genre: YA
Source: ARC from publisher

Summary via Goodreads:
Charlotte’s best friend thinks Charlotte might be psychic. Her boyfriend thinks she’s cheating on him. But Charlotte knows what’s really wrong: She is one of the Forgotten, a kind of angel on earth, who feels the Need—a powerful, uncontrollable draw to help someone, usually a stranger.

There have been others before who’ve felt the Need, but they’re gone—erased from the memories of everyone whose lives they had touched. It's as though they never existed. This is the fate that awaits Charlotte. But the last thing Charlotte wants to do is disappear, to be Forgotten. She wants to stay with her best friend, whose life is spiraling out of control. She wants to lie in her boyfriend’s arms forever. She wishes she could just ignore the Need, but she can’t. And as everyone important in her life begins to slowly forget her, she has to decide if she’ll fight the Need in order to remain herself—no matter how dark the consequences.


Missy's take -

Sometimes it is hard for me to find words for a book that I love. I have run across this several times this year because so many fabulous books have been coming out. A Need So Beautiful was no exception.

The book was so beautifully written. The story was fascinating, thrilling, sad and happy all at the same time. Charlotte is struggling with a condition her best friend and boyfriend really know nothing about. It's what she calls a Need, or a force that pulls her to a certain place to help someone. These Needs can come at anytime of the day no matter where she is or what she is doing. She has no idea where this came from and why it's happening to her. All she knows is that she HAS to help this people. With just the touch of her hand on their skin she can see their past, present and future to find out what she needs to tell them or what she has to help them with.  

She longs to be normal like everyone else. To spend a life with her boyfriend Harlin. To go to school and hang out with her best friend. After finding out that this Need will soon erase her from the memories of the people that she loves most it is almost more than she is able to bear. She tries to find anything she can do to stop the progression of this mysterious Need that is sure to make her disappear in time. It is also very painful for her to find out that someone close to her had known about what she was going through all along.

I was so captivated by the story. Charlotte is torn between helping others or trying to fight it and save herself. I can't imagine being forced into a situation like that.  

Missy's take -
 

9 comments:

  1. I was a bit on the fence about this one but your review has totally swayed me toward reading it.

    It sounds amazing!!

    Thanks for the awesome review

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Need So Beautiful sounds fabulous and I've heard that it's very emotional.

    Great review :-) glad you enjoyed ANSB so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never heard of this book before. Great review, now I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound like a really good read. I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's on my list! I love the cover, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one sounds so good. It's definitely on my wish list :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for A Need So Beautiful! It sounds so amazing. <3 Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Fabulous review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard REALLY AWESOME things about A Need So Beautiful! I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for writing this review! I can just tell that you love this book. I have been considering reading this for a while now but now I know I will have to :)
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to read this one so bad now! I think I'm going to have to buy it for my Nook especially after reading your wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete