Monday, May 2, 2011

Review - If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Title: If I Stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Publisher: Speak
Release Date: April 6th, 2010
Pages: 224
Genre: YA
Source: I own

Summary via Goodreads:
In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...
A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands.


Missy's take -

Mia and her family are driving in a car when there is an accident. She awakens at the wreckage only to find that she is outside of her battered body barely clinging to life. She watches as paramedics come and take her family away and she follows her body to the hospital to see if she can be saved.

The story is told through Mia's eyes as she faces current events and past events that have brought her to where she is today. You see snippets of her past before her brother Teddy was born. The transformations that her parents take as they grow older. We learn how she met and fell in love with her boyfriend Adam. We also learn of her love for music.

All the while that this is happening Mia is trying to decide whether or not she should stay. What does she have left to live for if she does wake up from her coma. What will she lose should she decide just to let go.

She is there as her grandparents, best friend and boyfriend all try and convince her to hold on. That she does in fact have things to live for. How much they all love her. It was so heartbreaking. Her boyfriend Adam telling her he will do anything she asks if she just holds on. Just thinking about it now makes me want to cry like a big baby!


This has to be one of the most emotional books that I have ever read. I can't imagine being in an accident so severe you are in a coma and then having to see all of your loved ones in so much pain. This is a book that will haunt me for a long time to come.

Missy's rating - 
 

13 comments:

  1. Right? Oh my lord this book was devastating! I'm still about 75 pages out because I had to take a break from how sad this book is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell me you have Where She Went and plan to read it immediately. I know you're on a book buying ban, so if you don't -- COME FIND ME IMMEDIATELY AND I WILL FIX THAT!!!! Seriously. If you think this book was great, wait until you read the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, very emotional! I still need to read the sequel :)
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading this book for a couple of days and it has been such a struggle because I always end up crying and have to stop.

    :P It's so emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with you. This was definitely one of the most powerful books I've read. I was crying throughout it. You'll have to get your hands on the sequel, which I thought was captivating as well! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful review! I couldn't agree more!

    Reading If I Stay brought back so many memories! Good ones and Sad ones from my days as an RN in the Neuro ICU! It was a fantastic book and it touches everyone whether your a nurse, someone whose watched a love one go through it or just an empathetic soul!

    Kristi-The Book Faery

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gahhh! I need to read this! Great review :)
    I'm a new follower, & I LOVE your blog. The layout is so professional! Don't be a stranger, stop by my blog sometime and say hi!

    Looking forward to hearing back from you,
    Cory @ Anti-Drug Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book was sooo emotional to me too, I can't remember how many times I cried while reading it. I loooved it so much and Where She Went was even better. Great review! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, so, soooo glad that you loved this book!! It's definitely one of my faves. So emotional. I need to re-read it before I read Where She Went. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gosh! This book sounds just amazing. I have had it on my shelf for so long and am still working up the courage to read it. I just know I will be a blubbering baby the whole time I'm reading it. I'm glad you liked it though :)
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is this too sad? Something similar happened to my friend in high school. I don't know.

    Check out/follow my blog: http://ya100words.blogspot.com/ YA Lit Reviews in 100 words or less and songs to read by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you loved this one! It's definitely one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I Stay is probably one of the saddest books that I have ever read. I knew when I started it that it wasn't going to be your happily-ever-after but I had no idea how much I would cry. Still, it is one of the most beautifully written books that I have ever read and I can't help but recommend it.
    The way it's written is different but it was a great way to show all the characters, not just Mia. Stories are told through flashbacks of Mia's memories and every memory showed something new about Mia and her loved ones. It wasn't hard to get drawn into the story.

    ReplyDelete