Thursday, May 26, 2011

Review - Divergent by Veronica Roth

Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Publisher:  Katherine Tegen Books
Release date: May 3, 2011
Pages: 487
Genre: YA
Source: ARC via publisher for review
Buy the book: Amazon / B&N

Summary via Goodreads:
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her. 

 

Missy's take - 

I am generally really nervous about reviewing a book when it has been so hyped up. I am always so afraid of being disappointed, let down or wondering, what the heck is wrong with me? If I don't end up liking it. All around the blogosphere for the last couple of months all I have been hearing about is the amazingness that is Divergent. Cue me and my nervousness. When I started the book I tried to keep my expectations for it low. I am so glad to say that there was no need for any of that. This book FAR exceeded the hype and any expectations I had ever had for it.

This world that author created was crazy. We are sent into the future in Chicago. There are four factions that make up the population.When you turn 16 you choose the faction that you believe best fits you. You are tested prior to choosing, however to see where you might best fit in. It is during this test that Beatrice finds out she might just be different than everyone else.

Beatrice, the lead character, is caught up in the turmoil of having to choose which faction she should go to. She wants to stay in the faction her parents and brother are in because she doesn't want to leave them, but she is also not sure if that is the right place for her. I am happy to say that I totally connected with her. I completely felt that I was along with her on the ride the entire time.

I loved Four. He was one of the instructors for the Dauntless. He was so amazing and complex. I kept feeling like I wasn't quite sure about him. You know the feeling? Like you are sort of in the middle because you expect some bombshell to be dropped involving the character that will make you love or hate them. That's exactly how I felt most of the time. In the end I just ended up being completely and totally in love with him myself.

I got completely lost in this novel. I wish I would have been able to read it and just not move until I was finished. When I had to put it down my mind was still on it wondering what would happen next. The suspense of it all kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I think there were times my stomach actually hurt from nerves. You fall in love with these characters. It's almost impossible not to.

This will going high up on my favorites list. I cannot say enough good things about it. It blows my mind that this is Veronica Roth's debut. Even after finishing it I still can't stop thinking about it. If you are avoiding reading this because of the hype I suggest that you listen to all that hype. It is well well deserved hype!

Missy's rating - 

11 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100%!! This book surpassed any expectations I had before reading it. I loved how fast paced it was. Constantly flipping the pages wondering what will happen next. I was such a ball of nerves while reading it, too. So freaking good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay! So glad to hear that you liked Divergent! I've been pretty worried as well about being disappointed with it, because I've read just a couple bad reviews. I can't wait to start it! Hopefully soon! Thanks for sharing your review, you've got me really excited to read it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Divergent and haven't read it yet. Your review is awesome and I feel the need to open it right up! The book I'm reading now just isn't calling to me, if you know what I mean :o]

    Thanks for the great and honest review! I think I'll be starting Divergent today.

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore this book! I want to re-read it soon and I even got a lot of my non-blogger friends to read it and they loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you, much hyped about books make me nervous too, and I usually don't end up liking them, actually, at least not that much.

    Still, I'm glad this one exceeded your expectations, it sounds very cool and I like that it's set in an actual city.

    Anyway, I'll keep thins one in mind when the time comes for me to read a new dystopian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree! Give into the hype everyone who hasn't read this yet! I was just working on my post for the review right before this! My review is really long...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have yet to read this one but I'll have to soon. I've read nothing but good things about it. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you believe I still haven't freaking read this??? Grrrr to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Missy, I'm the same way. When a book is seriously hyped up, it makes me super nervous. I still haven't read Divergent, but it is good to know it exceeded your expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this one as well! I loved how Tris really seemed human, and she was never really sure if she had made the right choice. I thought the romance was done very well too. Oh, and I agree, I'm always worried to read a book with a lot of hype. Will I like it just because of how popular its become, or will I really dislike it? Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! This is SUCH an amazing book! I can't believe how much I loved it!! Seriously! You brought up so many awesome points in your review! I remember those stomach clenching moments! :)

    ReplyDelete