Monday, May 23, 2011

Review - An Apple For Zoe by Thomas Amo

Title:  An Apple For Zoe (The Forsaken)
Author: Thomas Amo
Publisher: Self published
Release Date: February 10, 2011
Pages: 320
Genre: Adult fiction
Source: Author for review 
Buy the book: Amazon

Summary via Goodreads:
Some Murders Shouldn't Be Investigated

The City of San Francisco is locked in a grip of fear. A series of occult murders has led, Inspector Thomas James, to a crime scene similar to a murder committed 90 years ago in the once grand Aleris Hotel. A place where power barons of the early 20th Century engaged in witchcraft. And silent film stars indulged in the most wicked of sins.

A place where no one questions the black smoke that rises from the hotel's incinerators in the middle of the night.


Missy's take - 

This book is unlike anything that I have read before. I am not even sure where to start with my review of it. It was such a suspenseful, mind blowing read I will do my best to explain my thoughts on it. 

The story starts with Inspector Thomas James from the San Francisco PD, entering a murder scene at, of all places, a funeral home. While gathering evidence, he comes upon a clue that is specifically meant for him. This totally freaks him out. Along with all the evidence found from this murder were are thrown into a hunt for murderer who is being a copycat. All of these murders that are taking place have things to do with The Zodiac killer and Charles Manson. There are so many references to past murders. It was quite fascinating how the author intertwined them together.

The storyline takes us all over the place. There is a lot happening with every single chapter. There were times that I got slightly confused because of everything that was going on at one time. While at the time it seemed overwhelming, all of it was necessary to the story. There was a lot of information to gather, but at the end it all comes together nicely and you begin to understand how everything fits together.

I really liked the characters. All of them were written with very realistic qualities and dialogue. There is a paranormal touch to the story and our lead, Thomas James, doubts all of the paranormal aspects. This makes him very real to me because a lot of people wouldn't believe the case has anything to do with the paranormal.

Overall, I was really surprised where the story went. It was all so unexpected. This book was not at all what I thought that it was going to be. Quite honestly a lot of the book totally creeped me out, but I really like that in a book! It is a lot of fun for a story to take you in a place to never expect it to go! This is also the year of cliffhangers because, oh my goodness, this one leaves us with quite the cliffhanger! I can't wait to read the next one in the series!

Missy's rating -  
 

8 comments:

  1. This one sounds interesting... And the cover is a bit creepy! Right? Or I'd it just me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Missy! So glad you enjoyed An Apple for Zoe as much as you did! Book two The Wicked is in production now!
    :) Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great read, and I love getting sucked into good book series. Is it available at Smashwords or Barnesandnoble.com? I have the Nook, not the Kindle...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds so fantastic. You need a good mystery every now and then and this particular one sounds so interesting! Awesome review :)
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missy, you always have the best reviews!! This one sounds really interesting. I agree, that cover is kind of creepy! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've been reading a lot of self pubbed books, which I tend to think are hit and miss. A lot are good though and I'm glad that you've been so happy with so many of them! This is a great review that will give many a better idea of whether this is a book they may enjoy :)

    And this is where I say that I'll add it to my WL, but I'm not going there anymore. When I hear of a good book I promptly decide to forget I heard of it. My TBR has been stressing me out so badly lately that I don't even want to add to the stress anymore. However, if I keep up with not accepting review books I may be able to get through my giant shelves of books this year and next year I can come back and go through the Indie Reads you reviewed and read a few ;) LOL. That's a joke. Kind of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete