Friday, May 20, 2011

Review - Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

Title: Living Dead Girl            
Author: Elizabeth Scott
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: 2008
Pages: 170
Genre: YA
Source: Library

Once upon a time, I was a little girl who disappeared.
Once upon a time, my name was not Alice.
Once upon a time, I didn’t know how lucky I was.

When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over.
Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her.
This is Alice’s story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget. (Goodreads)




Kim’s Take –

This had to be one of the most disturbing books I have read in a long time. At the same time, it was excellent and I read it within a few hours. It just pulled me in and I couldn’t stop reading because I had to know what was going to happen next.

Alice is abducted by Ray, a pedophile, when she is 10 years old. She has been under his control for 5 years now. Alice is not her real name but that is the name Ray has chosen for her.

Despite the freedom Ray has given her over time, he has brainwashed her so badly that she will never try to escape. He knows where her family lives and will kill them if she leaves. She believes him whole-heartedly. She is not the first child Ray has kept captive. There was a previous girl who was found dead in a river after Ray no longer had use for her once she lost her childlike appearance.

Alice knows she will ultimately be killed when she also does not fit his child fantasy. And she welcomes it. She even thinks of it daily. It will be her only escape and finally freedom from he abuse she suffers from Ray on a daily basis. Food is kept from her to keep her small childlike figure and she is raped daily and is often beaten.

When Ray speaks of kidnapping another child, Alice is all for it and agrees to help him find a little girl. I found this very disturbing. But until you are in Alice’s place, and feel dead inside, it is hard to understand her willingness. It is the only way she can guarantee her death and freedom from her torturous life.

The book comes to a dramatic and tragic ending during the process of executing the plan to kidnap this newly chosen innocent child.

It is narrated by Alice herself and is so sad to her the way she thinks of her life and her feeling that she is dead already. Any emotion has been erased from her after 5 years of daily abuse.

Though it was a sad, disturbing story, I highly recommend it. It is definitely a story that will stick with you for a long, long time.

Kim’s Rating – 5/5

8 comments:

  1. I don't know if it's because I read a lot of these tough issue books, dealing with topics similar to this one, but this one just didn't do it for me. My emotions never got involved and I never really felt like Scott truly captured the spirit of an abused and damaged little girl.

    Your review is great, and would have made me want to read the book if I hadn't already read it.

    So interesting how some books can reach out to some people so powerfully and do nothing for others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is the only Elizabeth Scott book that I've ever finished - I had tried a couple of others but never really got into them - and I don't know why is that because it was SO hard to read.

    At the same time, though, I never connected or even liked Alice, which made me feel kind of bad at the time, but it's the true. Maybe that's why I haven't tried any other books by E.S. since then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous review. When I first saw this book I wasn't sure it was Elizabeth Scott who wrote it - the same one who writes swoonworthy YA romance. Amazing how she can write from different angles, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is going to be fabulous!! Great review, I can't freaking wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review! This is one of the only books of hers I have yet to read and you made me want to pick it up right this moment =)

    Remember to Linky it up to get extra entries to all the EScott contests!
    http://www.thesecretlifeofanavidreader.com/p/giveaways.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was an insightful and thought-provoking review.

    I read this one, too, and I must admit there were times that I skimmed over certain parts that I found particularily disturbing.

    I thought Ms. Scott did a wonderful job and would and have recommended this book.

    Great review, thanks for sharing :o]

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found this to be a disturbing book too, but a great book. There are so few written about cases like this, and even less from the point of view of the victim like this. It was a very unique experience!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After finishing it in one sitting late last night, I'm still trying to catch my breath and desperately trying to get rid of the weight that seems to have settled on my chest.

    ReplyDelete