Saturday, April 23, 2011

Review - Two Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt

Title: Two Way Street (Amazon)
Author: Lauren Barnholdt
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: June 26th, 2007
Pages: 288
Genre:  YA
Source: Library

Summary via Goodreads:
This is Jordan and Courtney, totally in love. Sure, they were an unlikely high school couple. But they clicked; it worked. They're even going to the same college, and driving cross-country together for orientation.

Then Jordan dumps Courtney -- for a girl he met on the Internet.

It's too late to change plans, so the road trip is on. Courtney's heartbroken, but figures she can tough it out for a few days. La la la -- this is Courtney pretending not to care.

But in a strange twist, Jordan cares. A lot.

Turns out, he's got a secret or two that he's not telling Courtney. And it has everything to do with why they broke up, why they can't get back together, and how, in spite of it all, this couple is destined for each other.

 
Missy's take -

Courtney is headed off to college. She ends up having to take the trip from Florida to college in Boston with her ex-boyfriend. They had a bad breakup (he dumped her for a girl on Myspace) and she is absolutely dreading it. She is still in love with him, but tries to do everything in her power not to let him know that she still cares. This proves to be quite difficult and they butt heads through out the trip.

Jordan, on the other hand, still loves Courtney too. He can't tell her though because of a stupid secret he has been keeping from her. He wants to be with her, but if he thinks that if he tells her that she is going to hate him even more.

When to story begins we see it from Courtney's point of view in the present. As the story progresses we see things in her ex boyfriend Jordan's point of view. It hops back and forth from past to present so we can see how their relationship began and ended and everything in between. I love stories that are told in dual points of view. That way you are never left wondering what the other character is thinking.

I really loved the story and the whole concept of the book. The only thing that I really didn't like about the book was the ending. I didn't care for it at all. It basically left everything unanswered for me. I am still going to give the book 3.5 stars because I loved all the other content. Just not the ending so much. I don't know if there is a sequel out there now or if there will be, but I sure hope so. Everything was left too unresolved for me. I loved the characters so much and I really want to know exactly how things ended up for them!


Missy's rating-

7 comments:

  1. I'm going to start this today! :) I don't like endings like that either...usually. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To my knowledge this is a stand alone book. I read this book about a year ago & really liked it. It's not a book that has some huge emotional meaning behind it that stays with you long after you put it down. It's simply an enjoyable read for what it is. I really like it when YA books are told from differing view points, too. If we had only seen this story from Courtney's side could you imagine how different it would have been?

    Great review Missy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review! I don't remember the ending now. I do remember liking the book, but not loving it as much as I hoped I would. I can't remember why now though. Gee, this is becoming a pretty pointless comment due to my horrible memory :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds really interesting! That's too bad about the ending though. Don't you hate it when that happens?? Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!
    I have a hate/hate relationship with this book!
    I thought the idea of it was awesome -the back and forth and the switch in perspectives - but man it drove me crazy.

    Hookup! the word hookup shows up, like three times (or more) in every page... it's insane. I don't even use the word hookup anymore.

    LOL

    And completely agree with you about the ending. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was liking every thing until you said about the ending. I really disliked the last book I read that had and ending that left me with too many questions. Makes me think I wont like this one that much either but I'm still going to give it a try who knows I could still love it =p anyways nice review

    as always ♥, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm one of the only people who didn't like this book. Courtney really bothered me and the story felt dated. I agree with you that not much was resolved.

    ReplyDelete