Thursday, April 28, 2011

Review - Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess

316k0hGInHL
Title: Such a Pretty Girl
Author: Laura Wiess
Publisher: MTV Books and Pocket Books
Release Date: 2007
Pages: 212
Genre: YA
Source: Library

Summary:
They promised Meredith nine years of safety, but only gave her three.
Her father was supposed to be locked up until Meredith turned eighteen. She thought she had time to grow up, get out, and start a new life. But Meredith is only fifteen, and today her father is coming home from prison.
Today her time has run out. (Goodreads)

Kim’s take -

This was a very quick read but definitely not an uplifting story.
Meredith’s father was supposed to be in prison until she turned eighteen, but finds out only the day before, that he is being released early. She is only fifteen. And he’s moving to the same condo complex she lives in with her mother. Her mother has stood by his side through it all and is determined to have them become a family again. But it becomes obvious to Meredith that he has not changed at all and that she is in danger. With the help of one of her fathers paralyzed victims and a retired cop, Meredith will put herself in even more danger to ensure the safety of others.

This was just a sad story. Meredith has really has no kind of life after her father was convicted of his crimes and sent to prison. She and her mother are shunned by their community. I really felt for Meredith because she had no one looking out for her best interests so she was really all alone. I wanted to bring her home and take care of her!

It’s a very good book with an original storyline which examines the crimes against children without the graphic descriptions.

Kim’s Rating

3 comments:

  1. I have not heard of this one but I am going to have to add it to my wish list. It sounds sad but like a good read too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to read this for a long time, but I sort of think it's going to be very sad :(

    *sigh*

    I didn't know it was a quick read though, maybe I'll finally give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of this one (or I forgot) but it sounds really good. And knowing it's short definitely ups it in my mind!

    ReplyDelete