Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Review - Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin


Title: Something Borrowed
Author: Emily Giffin
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Date Released: 2004
Pages: 336
Genre: Adult

Rachel White is the consummate good girl. A hard-working attorney at a large Manhattan law firm and a diligent maid of honor to her charmed best friend Darcy, Rachel has always played by all the rules. Since grade school, she has watched Darcy shine, quietly accepting the sidekick role in their lopsided friendship. But that suddenly changes the night of her thirtieth birthday when Rachel finally confesses her feelings to Darcy's fiance, and is both horrified and thrilled to discover that he feels the same way. As the wedding date draws near, events spiral out of control, and Rachel knows she must make a choice between her heart and conscience. In so doing, she discovers that the lines between right and wrong can be blurry, endings aren't always neat, and sometimes you have to risk everything to be true to yourself. (Goodreads)

Kim’s take: I really liked this book. It was such a good story with a great surprise ending. The story is told through Rachel’s view. Rachel is the consummate rule follower. She tends blends into the background compared to her best friend since childhood, Darcy. Darcy seems to have been born with a silver spoon in her mouth and doesn’t hesitate to let anyone know how fantastic she is. What Darcy doesn’t realize is that Rachel and Darcy’s fiancé, Dex, are having an affair behind her back. As the wedding date nears, Rachel gives Dex an ultimatum. He must make the choice to get married or break his engagement to be with Rachel.  

I found the characters very relatable and tended to identify more with Rachel’s character. Darcy is unbelievably shallow and narcissistic, blaming anyone but herself for any problems that come her way. What made the ending even better was that I knew the second book, Something Blue, would pick up the story from the view of Darcy. As much as I hated Darcy by the end of the book, I still wanted to find out what happened next!

If you’re looking for a good quick read, this is the book for you.

Kim’s Rating

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book and Something Blue as well! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! I'm glad someone has reviewed this, I was wondering if it was any good. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this earlier in the year and I agree with you. It's a nice quick read. I Was surprised at how much I liked Rachel and Dex -because you know, they are 'the cheaters'- but I did wish they grew a spine sooner.

    The second book is good too :) I didn't think I would like it since it's from Darcy's pov, but I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED this book! I absolutely can't wait to see the movie, I totally love the actors they chose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review!! I'm hoping to get to this book soon. I'm really looking forward to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am dying to read this, especially because (I think?) the movie is coming out soon! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had this book on my shelf for years and I have yet to read it. Now with the movie I am trying to push it up the list. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's very easy to find out any matter on net as compared to textbooks, as I found this post at this web page.

    Here is my blog :: body mass index chart

    ReplyDelete