Thursday, April 21, 2011

Review - Something Blue by Emily Giffin

Title: Something Blue (Amazon)
Author: Emily Giffin
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Release Date: 2006
Pages: 338
Genre: YA, Adult fiction
Source: Friend

Darcy Rhone thought she had it all figured out: the more beautiful the girl, the more charmed her life. Never mind substance. Never mind playing by the rules. Never mind karma. But Darcy's neat, perfect world turns upside down when her best friend, Rachel, the plain-Jane good girl, steals her fiance, while Darcy finds herself completely alone for the first time in her life with a baby on the way.
Darcy tries to recover, fleeing to her childhood friend living in London and resorting to her tried-and-true methods for getting what she wants. But as she attempts to recreate her glamorous life on a new continent, Darcy finds that her rules no longer apply.
It is only then that Darcy can begin her journey toward self-awareness, forgiveness, and motherhood. Something Blue is a novel about one womans surprising discoveries about the true meaning of friendship, love, and happily-ever-after. It's a novel for anyone who has ever, even secretly, wondered if the last thing you want is really the one thing you need.
(Goodreads)

Kim’s take: This book picks up where Something Borrowed left off, only it’s from Darcy’s point of view. I wasn’t too excited about it because I had come to hate Darcy in the first book. But I actually started to feel sorry for her this time because she was so shallow, selfish, clueless, and unhappy. In this book, everything she has done in the past is coming back to haunt her. 

Of course, she still wants to blame all of her misfortune on others until her friend, Ethan, rips into her and tells her like it is. It turns into a huge wake-up call for Darcy. Intent on changing herself, she finds it hard to not revert back to her selfish and shallow ways and thoughts. But she charges on, determined to start a new life in a new country while pregnant. Of course, it’s not going as smoothly as she thought it would. And, all along, she is falling for the one person she never considered worthy mate.

This was just as good as the first book and some of the things Darcy does and says are just so comical because she is so clueless. I really wish there was a third book because I would love to know what happens even farther down the line!

Kim’s Rating:


5 comments:

  1. I've read both books and I really liked them. In the first book I really did not like Darcy at all, but Emily Giffin did a great job of making you feel sorry for Darcy. Do you really think people can be so clueless?

    Great review! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one even more than Something Borrowed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Something Borrowed yet but this sounds like a fun series, great review!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! the idea of a third book is awesome, I too wish it.

    I was surprised when I realized I was coming to care for Darcy, I think it started a bit like pity because she was just so clueless and disconnected from reality.

    I wished there was more of Ethan though. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you liked this one as well! I'm really looking forward to reading this series. Too bad there's not a third book. :)

    ReplyDelete