Monday, April 18, 2011

Review - Size 12 is Not Fat by Meg Cabot

Title: Size 12 is Not Fat (Amazon)
Author: Meg Cabot
Publisher: Avon Trade
Release Date: 2006
Pages: 345
Genre: YA
Source: Library

Heather Wells Rocks!

Or, at least, she
did. That was before she left the pop-idol life behind after she gained a dress size or two — and lost a boyfriend, a recording contract, and her life savings (when Mom took the money and ran off to Argentina). Now that the glamour and glory days of endless mall appearances are in the past, Heather's perfectly happy with her new size 12 shape (the average for the American woman!) and her new job as an assistant dorm director at one of New York's top colleges. That is, until the dead body of a female student from Heather's residence hall is discovered at the bottom of an elevator shaft.

The cops and the college president are ready to chalk the death off as an accident, the result of reckless youthful mischief. But Heather
knows teenage girls . . . and girls do not elevator surf. Yet no one wants to listen — not the police, her colleagues, or the P.I. who owns the brownstone where she lives — even when more students start turning up dead in equally ordinary and subtly sinister ways. So Heather makes the decision to take on yet another new career: as spunky girl detective!

But her new job comes with few benefits, no cheering crowds, and
lots of liabilities, some of them potentially fatal. And nothing ticks off a killer more than a portly ex-pop star who's sticking her nose where it doesn't belong . . . (Goodreads)

Kim’s Take: I absolutely loved this book. It was funny with mystery, romance, and danger mixed in. Heather seems to be happy (sort of!) with where she is at in her life right now and where she is going. 

 It seems to be a tragic accident while “elevator surfing” that leads to the death of a female student. But when a second death occurs in the same manner, Heather takes a look into both girl’s student files and is not convinced that such “good girls” would be elevator surfing. She believes there may be foul play involved and begins her investigation.

In the middle of all this chaos, her ex-boyfriend, who cheated on her, is trying to get back into her life for some reason. Heather doubts his intentions, and rightly so. Confusing her even more is her secret crush on his brother, Cooper, a private investigator. She lives upstairs in Cooper’s brownstone, handling paperwork for him in exchange for a place to stay.

Cooper doesn’t seem to believe Heather’s allegations regarding foul play in the deaths of the students since she has no proof. But he begins to change his mind and pay more attention when it seems someone is attempting to “remove” Heather from the investigation. And there’s a nice suspenseful twist at the end.

I really liked Heather’s character. The things that ran through her head were so funny and real and I could really put myself in her situation. I have to admit this is the first Meg Cabot book I have read and I am ashamed. I am now a fan and will be reading ALL of her books!

 Kim’s Rating:
 

10 comments:

  1. I love this series! Heather is one of my favorite contemporary characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just put this book on hold at the library yesterday! So glad you liked it! Can't wait to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see this book a lot when I go to the bookstore. I really need to pick it up!! Glad you enjoyed it, it sounds pretty awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never heard of this book before, actually. It looks quite good! Great review.

    And I forgot to mention it before but I love your new layout! The owls are super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this book too. I've wanted to read the next one in the series, but it just hasn't happened yet. You really can't go wrong with Meg Cabot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, gosh! I love Heather and this series!!
    Heather was such a funny narrator and I loved how she crushed on Cooper. And Cooper is an awesome guy. I just wish there had been more romance in the book, but I know the series eventually gets there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ack. I haven't even read a single book by Meg Cabot! But I love your review and it really does look interesting.

    Chel
    The Procrastinator's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just added this to the TBR! I've read a few other Meg Cabot books so of course I'm willing to read this one! And I've never heard of elevator surfing before, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just added this to my TBR pile! I haven't read a Meg Cabot book yet. *gasp* I know. This looks really good so I'm definitely going to have to check it out! Great review!

    Happy Reading :)
    Blakeley

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this book! And I love Meg. This was a great book to start on. This is one of my favorite series by her. I can't wait until "Abandon" comes out next week!

    I'm so glad you're enjoying her so far :)

    ReplyDelete