Saturday, April 16, 2011

Review - Playing Hurt by Holly Schindler


Title: Playing Hurt
Author: Holly Schindler
Publisher: Flux
Release Date:March 8th, 2011
Pages:312
Genre:YA
Source: Banned Book Tours

Summary via Goodreads:
Star basketball player Chelsea "Nitro" Keyes had the promise of a full ride to college—and everyone's admiration back home. Then she took a horrible fall during senior year. Now a metal plate holds her together and she feels like a stranger in her own family.
That summer, Chelsea's dad hires Clint, a nineteen-year-old ex-hockey player and "boot camp" trainer, to work with her at a northern Minnesota lake resort. As they grow close, Chelsea finds that Clint's haunted by his own tragedy. Will their romance end up hurting them all over again—or finally heal their heartbreak?


Missy's take -

Holy WOW! Saying that I got sucked into this book is an understatement. I read the first couple pages during the read-a-thon. It was my last book of the night and I was ridiculously exhausted so I had to put it down. Had I read just a few more pages in I never would have been able to stop. I picked it back up at work a few days later and finished it during 1 shift. I may just get in trouble for reading at work, but I COULD NOT stop!

After graduating high school Chelsea's dad thinks that a family trip to a lake resort might be good for them. He signs Chelsea up for a "boot camp" hoping that she will get back to being her active self. Clint is the one who is hired on to be her trainer. While trying to maintain a "trainer" relationship with Chelsea things end up taking quite a different turn. He doesn't want to fall for her because he has had heartbreak in the past, but find himself unable to stop. Chelsea on the other hand tries fighting her feelings off because she has a boyfriend at home who is amazingly perfect and has been with her through all of the pain of being unable to play basketball.

Each chapter alternated between Chelsea and Clint. I loved the fact that the story was told from both of their perspectives because it gives you a real feel for each of the characters as a whole. You never have to wonder about how Chelsea feels about Clint and vice versa because it is all laid right out for you in each of their minds. This is one of those novels that you feel like you are actually in. You feel for the characters. You root for them and want to hang out and be friends. Is it possible to fall in love with a book character?? I am sure I fell pretty hard for Clint!

Overall this is an amazing novel. Going into this I had never read anything by Holly Schindler, but I will now be searching out her books. Her writing just flows beautifully and I was never bored. Not once. I read through it like a crazy person! I highly recommend this!


Missy's rating -



10 comments:

  1. I JUST got this in the mail (from you! lol!) & now after reading your review, I am SO excited to get started on it! eeeeek!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I love it when the characters take time narrating. Thank you so much for reading.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't Wait to read this book!! I've been looking forward to reading it, it sounds really great. Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for sharing such an awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved both of Schindler's books. I look forward to her next novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AH! I really really really want to read this. I keep seeing reviews popping up everywhere, all of them having super good things to say! Great review, it's making me more impatient!

    Happy Reading!
    Blakeley :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one's on my TBR list. Can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I've been really wanting to read this! I'm waiting for a tour book to show up at my door hopefully sometime soon! Happy you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any of Schindler's books at all, but I'm always down for some good contemporary!

    Great review :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I own but haven't read Holly's first novel, A Blue So Dark, and I really need to get this one. Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy Smokes! Fabulous review :) I have been impatiently waiting to read this book. It sounds amazing and now your review makes me even more excited!!!
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete