Saturday, April 30, 2011

Review - Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Title: Nightshade
Author: Andrea Cremer
Publisher: Philomel
Release Date: October 19th, 2010
Pages: 452
Genre: YA
Source: Library

Summary via Goodreads:
Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers.

But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything— including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?


Missy's take -

This is one of those books that, after I finish, I wonder what the heck took me so long to finally read it! I enjoyed this book so much and I am happy that I finally got around to checking it out. At least I don't have to wait quite as long for the sequel!

Nightshade follows Calla, a high school girl, who also happens to be an alpha wolf. Since the moment she is born her life has been mapped out for her. When she turns 18 she will marry the alpha from another pack and they will form a new pack together.

Calla accepts all of this. She understands that this is her role in life. That is until Shay, a human boy, shows up at their school. Calla is instantly drawn to him and this connection threatens everything that she has always believed to be true.

I was so engrossed with this book. I couldn't flip the pages fast enough to find out what was going to happen next. Unlike a lot of people I enjoy a good love triangle in a book. While not always completely believable, because how many girls have two boys fighting over them, it makes for a fun enjoyable read to me.

Calla was a fabulous main character who was filled with turmoil. So many things going on in her life all at once and she doesn't know how to control them. She makes some not so smart decisions which just prove to make things even harder for her. All of this makes her a realistic teenager in my opinion (besides the being a wolf part, of course!)

The supporting cast was great as well. I love her brother, Ansel. He is exactly the way a little brother should be. The male alpha from the other pack, Ren, sounds like an absolute hottie!

Overall I enjoyed this book immensely. Since I got it from the library it is definitely a book that I need to buy for my own personal collection. I am so happy that Wolfsbane, the sequel, comes out in a few short months because we are left with quite a cliffhanger and I can't wait to see what happens next!

Missy's take -

12 comments:

  1. I loved this book too, glad to see you agree! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad you liked it!! I love all the side characters in this book, and Ansel is one of my favorites. Great review! Oh, and TEAM REN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was mist definitely awesome. I am glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't sure I wanted to read this one, so I'm totally excited you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I still haven't read this book but I really do need too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, LOVE this book! The world building, the writing, the characters, all fabulous! I cannot wait for Wolfsbane. I am glad you read and enjoyed this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! I thoroughly enjoyed it as well and can't wait for the sequel! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I remember my friend told me about this one... :) I think she loved it too. And I do have a soft spot for wolves... yeah, I'll try to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you enjoyed reading Nightshade! I loved it as well, and can't wait to start on Wolfsbane. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm happy you loved this, I loved it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Truly when someone doesn't be aware of then its up to other viewers that they will assist, so here it takes place.

    Feel free to visit my blog: senior citizen employment

    ReplyDelete
  12. In order top come over with network problem during festival days you can use that information to make the
    site less gaming-intensive and more centered
    on business. Relationship student loans people involves cultivating the right kind of attendee for
    your event.

    Also visit my blog post ... Student Loans for People with Bad Credit

    ReplyDelete