Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Review - Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin

Title: Love the One You’re With (Amazon)
Author: Emily Giffin
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Release Date: 2008
Pages: 342
Genre: YA/Adult Fiction
Source: Friend

The New York Times bestselling author of Something Borrowed, Something Blue, and Baby Proof delivers another captivating novel about women and the choices that define them. This is the story for anyone who has ever wondered: How can I truly love the one I'm with when I can't forget the one who got away?

Ellen and Andy's first year of marriage doesn't just seem perfect, it is perfect. There is no question how deep their devotion is, and how naturally they bring out the best in each other. But one fateful afternoon, Ellen runs into Leo for the first time in eight years. Leo, the one who brought out the worst in her. Leo, the one who left her heartbroken with no explanation. Leo, the one she could never quite forget. When his reappearance ignites long-dormant emotions, Ellen begins to question whether the life she's living is the one she's meant to live.

Love the One You're With is a powerful story about one woman at the crossroads of true love and real life. (Goodreads)

Kim’s take: Another good book from Emily Giffin. I love books where I really can’t figure out the ending until you are almost there. And because I liked both men, I wasn’t rooting for one over the other.

It’s a novel about a situation that many of us go through when there is that unanswered question about how life would have turned out if things had worked out with our first love.  Ellen and Andy have had a great first year of marriage. Andy is the brother of her best friend with whom she had been roommates. Andy has been the perfect husband and Ellen could not ask for more. But when she has a chance meeting with her first love, Leo, she begins to rethink everything. What would life be like if she had stayed with Leo? Though their relationship was turbulent toward the end, it was filled with passion and an obsession on Ellen’s part. This is often the case for a woman when she falls in love the first time, so her feelings were very relatable.  Her life revolved around Leo, so she was understandably devastated when they broke up.

Leo manages to drag Ellen closer into his life after that meeting. He is a journalist and she is a photographer. He manages for her to be assigned to take photos for the stories he is writing. And the more time she spends with him, they more she starts falling for him and questioning her marriage.

After moving from New York, where Leo lives, to Georgia, Ellen is about to embark on an assignment with Leo that could change her future. Is her life and stability with Andy   enough to keep her from the risk losing everything by hooking up with Leo again? It was easy to see how the decision was hard for her which made me feel bad for her and both men. I wasn’t sure who she would choose until the end which made the book even better.

I am such an Emily Giffin fan now. She is always a great read!


Kim’s Rating:


5 comments:

  1. Yay! Another great Emily Giffin review! This one sounds sooooo good. I really want to read it now! Hopefully soon. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read Something Borrowed and Something Blue... but not this one! I do believe it's time to rectify this situation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds good. I loved Something Borrowed and Something Blue and I wasn't sure which book by her to try next, but I think I'll try this one :D

    Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to read her books! I've been drawn to more adult books lately and I'm thinking I would like her books! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I have ever read anything by her. I had this book from bookswim but never got a chance to read it. I sent it back but I wish I would have read it now. I will have to check out the library for this one!

    ReplyDelete