Thursday, April 14, 2011

Review - Glass by Ellen Hopkins

Title: Glass (Amazon)
Author: Ellen Hopkins
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Release Date: 2007
Pages: 681
Genre: YA, Adult Fiction
Source: Friend

Summary:
Crank. Glass. Ice. Crystal. Whatever you call it, it's all the same: a monster. And once it's got hold of you, this monster will never let you go.
Kristina thinks she can control it. Now with a baby to care for, she's determined to be the one deciding when and how much, the one calling the shots. But the monster is too strong, and before she knows it, Kristina is back in its grips. She needs the monster to keep going, to face the pressures of day-to-day life. She needs it to feel alive.
Once again the monster takes over Kristina's life and she will do anything for it, including giving up the one person who gives her the unconditional love she craves -- her baby.
The sequel to Crank, this is the continuing story of Kristina and her descent back to hell. Told in verse, it's a harrowing and disturbing look at addiction and the damage that it inflicts. (Goodreads)

Kim’s take -

This book was just as good as the first in the series, Crank. I’ve become familiar with the authors use of verse so it didn’t really bother me at all this time.

The book picks up right where the last one left off. Kristina is battling to keep one step ahead of the desire to use crank after she gives birth to her son. But the drug ultimately turns out to be much more powerful than her will and soon takes over her life again. This book focuses a lot more on the illegal things an addict will do, and the dangerous situations they willingly put themselves into, to get their hands on this destructive drug. And the things they will give up, which is the saddest thing of all. The book portrays how the drug becomes the addict’s sole purpose in life and nothing else matters. Including food, hygiene, sleep, and the world outside.

Once again, this book is loosely based on the author’s daughter’s struggle with the drug. I’ve noticed that the next book in the series is the story of how Kristina’s son is affected by his mother’s drug use and desertion, and how they will affect the life decisions he will make as he gets older.

Kim’s Rating

6 comments:

  1. I wasn't a big fan of Crank and Glass, but I absolutely love Ellen Hopkins other books. Impulse is my favorite, followed by Fallout.

    Great review!

    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this one! I've heard many great things about Ellen Hopkins, hopefully I can read her soon (because I'm one of the very few who haven't-yeah, I definitely need to change that).

    Anyway, great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read these books, they are not my kind of read so I've never been drawn to them.

    I'm glad you liked them though :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of Ellen Hopkins' books! They are incredible! Impulse, Burned, and Identical are favorites of mine! Which are like all of her books pretty much! They're all so so so so good!
    Glad you enjoyed it!

    Happy Reading!
    Blakeley :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't picked up any of her books yet. For some reason a long time ago I picked one up, looked inside and I thought "not for me" and I've yet to pick up another one yet. Many people absolutely lover her stuff! (I only kind of skimmed your review because obviously I haven't read the first book in the series, haha).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought this book was gonna be long and challenging but it was a thrilling story that made you want to keep turning the page. Every page was bringing me closer to this story making me feel these characters as if they were real and they were some of my very best friends. Iam 16 years old and for me to read this story gave me a better feeling of where I am, who I'm with.Amazing book.

    ReplyDelete