Saturday, April 2, 2011

Review - The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

Title: The DUFF
Author: Kody Keplinger
Publisher: Poppy
Release Date: September 7th, 2010
Pages: 288
Genre: YA
Source: Library

Summary via author's website: 
Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy," she throws her Coke in his face.
But things aren't so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.
Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

Missy's take - *WARNING - This might be a little spoilery*

I want to start this out by saying that I absolutely loved Bianca. She was such a fabulous character. She is about as real as real can get and I loved that about her. This is one of the best portrayals I have read of a girl in high school that is somewhat similar to people I went to high school with. She had an attitude and was sarcastic and cynical. She had real teenage problems. Problems with parents, friends, boys and herself. Almost everyone can relate to not feeling pretty enough. The issues in this books are so real for teenagers.

Having had a dad who was, at one time, an alcoholic himself, made me completely understand the helplessness that she felt with her dad. She was so torn about what to do for him. Stay there and help or just runaway and avoid it all and act like everything was fine. Being embarrassed by a parent with an alcohol problem is not new to me. While my dad never got out of hand like hers did at one point, it is still a really rough thing to go through. It's hard to see someone that you love so much struggle with something that you feel like you can do nothing about. This made the story all the more real for me. The portrayal, to me at least, was pretty much spot on.

The supporting cast was fantastic as well. Her friends worried about her, but got fed up with her too. You can only brush off someone so many times before they just get fed up and don't want to help anymore. When things get rough she turns to Wesley for a distraction. Wesley was as hilarious as he was jerk. Some high school guys are so full of themselves and he was no exception.

I loved how the story was snarky and funny, but then it was able to get deep and meaningful as well. It was very well balanced in that aspect. She was able to make both Bianca and Wesley so vulnerable and we were able to see this completely different sides of them.

I hope this review doesn't make people think this book is all about heavy and serious stuff. It is equal parts humourous as well. It will stay with me for a long time because I just loved it that much. It had a perfect mix of everything in it.  I would very HIGHLY recommend this book and I am so disappointed in myself for taking so long to read it. I will say this though, if you have a problem with swearing/cussing be prepared. There is A LOT of that in here!

Missy's rating - 5/5 

5 comments:

  1. Awesome review!! You said it nicely.. this book had a great balance of fun, snarky material as well as deep, emotional stuff. I think that's why I was drawn to it so much. I loved Wesley's character. I like when you're able to see a character progress that much throughout a story. The scene in the hallway.. at her house.. after he walked in on you know what.. & then she gave her piece of mind.. LOVED that!

    So glad you enjoyed this book as much as me :-) I've read it twice & listened to the audio-book. I'm a bit obsessed with books I love, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, I've been a bit on the fence with this book because I have heard both positive and negative reviews about it.

    I'll keep considering it, though, since your review makes very interesting points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been so bad at keeping up on reading your reviews. It looks like I stopped by on just the right day! I love this review! I pick this book up and put it back on the shelf so many times! Next time I go to the book store, I'll be picking it up and actually taking it home! I love that it deals with major issue (I know I will be able to relate to the alcohol issue as well) but it also is a funny book (and I love me some funny books)! Great review :)
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to read this one. I have had it since last year but it always finds its way to the bottom of the pile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I <3 Wesley! At least towards the end...lol. Great review!

    ReplyDelete