Thursday, March 24, 2011

Review - Stolen: A letter to my captor by Lucy Christopher

Title: Stolen: A letter to my captor (Amazon)  
Author: Lucy Christopher
Publisher: Chicken House Ltd
Release Date: 2009
Pages: 301
Genre: YA
Source: Library

Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back? The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost. (Goodreads)

Kim’s take –

I absolutely loved this book! The action starts right away when Gemma runs into Ty at the airport and feels she has seen him somewhere before. And he is gorgeous. Things happen pretty quickly in the airport and when Gemma wakes up, she finds herself in a no man’s land. Desert as far as the eye can see, there is no where to go and no way to get there. Ty has been planning her abduction for years and has built and stocked up on everything they may need for years. His plan is to keep Gemma there with him forever.   

Gemma, understandably, hates Ty. When she tries to escape and nearly dies, it is Ty who rescues her and nurses her back to health. You can’t help but love Ty. His character is so gorgeous and the love he has for Gemma makes him seem so sweet that you feel sorry for him even though he has kidnapped her. I found myself wanting her to fall in love with him too. And she slowly is. Until a tragic accident forces Ty to return her to civilization to save her life. He then turns himself in when he feels she is safe and in capable hands.

Gemma must now try to separate fact from fiction. Does her family really love her or are the things Ty has told her true? I felt as bad for her during this time as I did in the beginning when she was kidnapped. How will she feel when she faces Ty in a courtroom?

I loved the author’s writing style and she was very descriptive without it being too much. It was enough that I could imagine the scenes as if I were watching a movie. She makes you feel very connected to both Ty and Gemma. Of course, I wish the ending would have been different because, by that time, I was totally in love with Ty!

I couldn’t give this book any higher of a recommendation!

Kim's Rating - 5/5

17 comments:

  1. I've had this book on my tbr shelf for quite a while now but your review made me want to push it up closer to the top. I think I will be reading it soon. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book cover seems so cute I would never had thought it was about something so gripping. I need to read this! Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this is going on my TBR list ASAP! It sounds awesome. How have I never heard of this book before?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your take on the book. I like exploring differences in book thoughts.

    I didn't love Ty, my mind wouldn't let me, but I did feel for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading this for my Aussie YA challenge, and I loved your review.
    It sounds like an intense but lovely read.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. The writing style was different and it took me a bit to get used to it. Ty's the bad boy who wants to be good but it's just so messed up in the head. I kind of cried, kind of, towards the end. One word I would use to describe this book is disturbing. But you should read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! It sounds like such an interesting take on a kidnapping story. Falling in love with your captor, how bizarre! I must pick this book up soon.
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love the cover as well. Thanks for the review and it definitely sounds like the kind of book I would love to read as well! :)

    -Sandra @ http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! I've seen this around (that cover is easy to remember) but haven't really paid it any attention. It's got my attention now! And I WANT! You've completely sold me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous review! I've read it's easy to almost feel for the captor, which fascinates me. I'm really sold on this one - I totally want to read it now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep hearing about this book, and I so want to read it! I need to find me a copy! Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome review! Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/12/stolen-by-lucy-christopher.html

    Thanks and have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely magnificent. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you're saying and the way in which you say it.
    You make it entertaining and you still care for
    to keep it smart. I can not wait to read much more from
    you. This is really a wonderful site.

    Also visit my page - bock of ra kostenlos spielen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marvelous, what a web site it is! This website provides valuable facts
    to us, keep it up.

    Here is my page :: solar springbrunnen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent way of telling, and good post to take data about my presentation subject matter,
    which i am going to convey in university.

    Also visit my site ... document collaboration

    ReplyDelete
  16. First of all I want to say fantastic blog! I had a quick question in which I'd like to ask if you don't mind.
    I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your head prior to writing.
    I've had a tough time clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out there. I do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are lost simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or tips? Thank you!

    Feel free to visit my weblog stargames.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. I got this web page from my pal who informed me concerning this site and at the moment this time I am visiting this website
    and reading very informative content at this place.


    Feel free to surf to my web-site :: mp3 player stiftung warentest

    ReplyDelete