Monday, April 4, 2011

Review - A Match Made In High School by Kristin Walker

Title: A Match Made In High School (Amazon)
Author: Kristin Walker
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: February 4th, 2010
Pages: 277
Genre: YA
Source: Library


Summary via Goodreads:
When the principal announces that every senior must participate in a mandatory year-long Marriage Education program, Fiona Sheehan believes that her life can't get any worse. Then she marries her “husband”: jerky jock Todd, whose cheerleader girlfriend, Amanda, has had it in for Fiona since day one of second grade. Even worse? Amanda is paired with Fiona's long-term crush, Gabe. At least Fiona is doing better than her best friend, Marcie, who is paired up with the very quiet, very mysterious Johnny Mercer.
Pranks, fights, misunderstandings, and reconciliations ensue in an almost Shakespearean comedy of errors about mistaken first impressions, convoluted coupling, and hidden crushes.


Missy's take -

I can honestly say that a book has never made me laugh so much in my life. I am pretty sure that when I was reading this book around people they probably thought I was losing it. This book was so fun and hilarious!

Fiona is starting her senior year in high school. On the first day the seniors find out that, in order to graduate, they have to pass a marriage ed course. This course requires them to be paired up in couples decided by their principal. Unfortunately she ends up being paired with the school jock, Todd, that she can't stand and her crush gets paired up with her worst enemy Amanda, Todd's head cheerleader girlfriend. Todd does everything in his power to make a fool of her and she gives it right back to him. Thus hilarity ensues.

Fiona is one of the best, most hilarious characters that I have ever come across. Nothing is off limits for her. She says what's on her mind and she doesn't take crap from anyone. She was always quick with a snappy comeback. If I could quote on her funny lines in the book, I would end up quoting just about every single thing she said.

What's crazy is this was Kristin Walker's first novel. I could not believe it when I found out. It was so cute and clever! If I didn't have to work I am pretty sure that I would have completed this in one sitting. I didn't want to stop! I wanted to stay wrapped up in this adorably hilarious story. If you are looking for a fun, quick, hilarious read then this is definitely the book for you! I got my copy from the library, but I will definitely be running out to buy my own. This is a book I could read over and over again!

Missy's rating - 5\5

13 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm adding this book to my list now. I need a good, funny book. I'll get odd looks from my boss (again) for reading it but meh, that's half the fun. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't even heard of this one (guess I don't follow the contemp stuff that closely), but you're making me add it to my TBR pile. nothing better than a laugh-out-loud read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I need to pick this up. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This isn't my usual kind of read, but I'll be adding it to the tbr list. I could use a funny read; everything I've read has been too serious lately! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this one too. I love a book that makes me laugh and this one worked!
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. *grins*
    I've had this book in my Maybe-Buy list for a long time, but you totally just bumped it to the Buy-List!
    :D

    Great review, I can't wait to read it.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Missy this sounds fun! thanks for the review!'
    Look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard good things about this, too! I can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hadn't paid any attention to this one before, but you made me just add it to my MUST read list! Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book sounds really interesting! Luckily my school never did anything like this; I would have been mortified.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks fabulous! Totally right up my alley, awesome find!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why have I not heard of this book before??? It sounds really great. Definitely going on my tbr list! I'm glad that you enjoyed it so much too. I love books that make you laugh. :) Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds really fun! I like the cover too. It's the type of book I'd buy from the store without reading the summary. Anyway, I have not heard of this book until now, so thanks for sharing! :)

    Chel @ The Procrastinator's Corner

    ReplyDelete