Saturday, March 5, 2011

Review - Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Title: Hex Hall (Amazon)
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Publisher: Hyperion
Release Date: March 2nd, 2010
Pages: 323
Genre: YA
Source: I own a copy

Summary via Goodreads:
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters. By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.


Missy's take-


I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I went in not knowing what to expect really. I had been told by a lot of other bloggers that it was a really good read though, so I decided to give it a try.

Sophie is a teenage witch who is extremely careless with her powers. She makes one too many mistakes and her parents send her off to Hecate Hall aka Hex Hall. Here she will be among other people like her and learn to strengthen her powers, but also use them wisely. She just so happens to end up rooming with the only vampire in school, who is hated by everyone, and fall for the one boy in school, that everyone wants. Thus hilarity and drama ensue.

I loved the humor of the story. It seems really rare to find that in a lot of paranormal fiction that I have been reading lately. Sophie was witty and sarcastic and I loved her. She made me laugh out loud. She was an awesome character. 


The story was fast paced, fun and clever. The plot was predictable at times, but it worked because there was always another a twist that you might not of been expecting.

Overall it was a great read and I can't wait to pick up Demonglass, the sequel! 


Missy's rating - 4/5
 

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like one I would like. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one because I'm really afraid it won't live up. I'm loving this review though, and I trust your judgement! I shall read it after all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this book. Like you, the humor stood out. You don't see humor done well in many paranormals. I'd also recommend Kimberly Pauley's Sucks to be Me books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so very happy you liked this one! One of my favs from last year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've put this one on hold because I wasn't sure if it was the same ol' thing, but I love humor in a book. I think I may have to check it out! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you liked it! I adored it! and the second book, Demonglass, is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I STILL need to read these! I'm falling behind... although I don't think I was ever caught up lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't understand why I have had this book for 6 months and it is STILL sitting on the bookshelf... It sounds like I need to pick it up ASAP.
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you enjoyed this one, I just adored Sophie, she had me cracking up the entire time! I'm hoping to start Demonglass this week, I hope you pick it up soon as well, then we can compare notes:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, as it was one of my favorites last year. I agree that the story does have a great humor. I actually just the read the sequel Demonglass, and it was amazing- even better than this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you liked this book. It's on my wishlist, and now I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete