Saturday, March 19, 2011

Review - The Ghost and The Goth by Stacey Kade

Title: The Ghost and The Goth
Author: Stacey Kade
Publisher: Hyperion
Release Date: June 29th, 2010
Pages: 281
Genre: YA
Source: Library 

Summary via Goodreads -

Alona Dare–Senior in high school, co-captain of the cheerleading squad, Homecoming Queen three years in a row, voted most likely to marry a movie star… and newly dead.

I’m the girl you hated in high school. Is it my fault I was born with it all-good looks, silky blond hair, a hot bod, and a keen sense of what everyone else should not be wearing? But my life isn’t perfect, especially since I died. Run over by a bus of band geeks—is there anything more humiliating? As it turns out, yes—watching your boyfriend and friends move on with life, only days after your funeral. And you wouldn’t believe what they’re saying about me now that they think I can’t hear them. To top it off, I’m starting to disappear, flickering in and out of existence. I don’t know where I go when I’m gone, but it’s not good. Where is that freaking white light already?

Will Killian–Senior in high school, outcast, dubbed “Will Kill” by the popular crowd for the unearthly aura around him, voted most likely to rob a bank…and a ghost-talker.

I can see, hear, and touch the dead. Unfortunately, they can also see, hear and touch me. Yeah, because surviving high school isn’t hard enough already. I’ve done my best to hide my “gift.” After all, my dad, who shared my ability, killed himself because of it when I was fifteen. But lately, pretending to be normal has gotten a lot harder. A new ghost—an anonymous, seething cloud of negative energy with the capacity to throw me around—is pursuing me with a vengeance. My mom, who knows nothing about what I can do, is worrying about the increase in odd incidents, my shrink is tossing around terms like “temporary confinement for psychiatric evaluation,” and my principal, who thinks I’m a disruption and a faker, is searching for every way possible to get rid of me. How many weeks until graduation?
 


Missy's take -

The story is based around Alona, the most popular girl in school. One morning, while skipping class, she makes the mistake of stepping off a curb and right into the path of a bus full of band kids. She ends up dying and over the course of a few days keeps waking up in the same spot she dies. She is completely unsure of why she is still roaming around and finally realizes that the school goth kid, Will, is the only one that can see her. Even though when she was living she would have avoided him at all cost, she tries to talk him into helping her go to the other side or at least find out why she hasn't.

I loved the characters in this book. They were funny, witty and charming. They also each had a deeper side to them. Alona and Will were complete opposites and I think that's what made the story work so well. Two people, from two different social circles, having to work together. Will has been tormented most of his life with dealing with hearing and seeing dead people. This is something he tries to hide from everyone, including his mother. His father also had the same ability. Will also tries to hide this from the ghosts because if they found out he could hear them they would all want him to do things for them. Alona has always been perceived as the perfect popular girl with the perfect life. Things couldn't be more untrue, but she chooses to hide this from everyone. She would rather everyone see her as the girl who has it all. They argued and tested each other at every turn and I loved it!  Of course it also helped that there was a touch of romance!

It was such a fun read and perfectly paced. I wasn't bored even for a moment! It was so cute and unique. I love books that make me laugh and this one did just that. This was definitely not the typical ghost stories I usually read and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way!

Missy's rating - 4/5

8 comments:

  1. Nice review! I agree, I loved how they were so different and had to work together. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you liked it! This was one of my favorite reads last year. I kept seeing it in Borders and finally one day, I just picked it up. The characters were my favorite too! I love how complete opposites they were. Now we have to wait a couple more months until QUEEN OF THE DEAD! Great review :)
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one was definitely a cute and unique book! Glad you liked it! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this on my TBR pile! I think I'm going to bump it up!
    :D
    Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds a little like "Here Lies Bridget", but different enough that I'm looking forward to reading this book. Added to my TBR list!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am soo glad you like this book. I loved it! I think its cute and fun and I cannot wait to read the sequel, Queen of the Dead. Great Review!!

    <3 Patricia @ Patricia's Particularity

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got this book IMM this past week! I wasn't sure if I even wanted to read it or not, but maybe I'll get around to it soon because of your review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stacy Kade will be here in a few week. I really want to get this book.

    ReplyDelete