Saturday, March 12, 2011

Review - The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Title: The Forest of Hands and Teeth (Amazon)
Author:  Carrie Ryan
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Release Date: February 9th, 2010
Pages: 308
Genre: YA
Source: I own a copy

Summary via Goodreads:

In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?


Missy's take - 

This book reminded me a lot of the movie The Village, which I really enjoyed. It was the first thing that came to mind a few chapters in. The main difference being this was based on zombies filling the forests and not some other monster.

The story itself was rather depressing, but very well written. Mary, the lead character, is always filled with so much hope. Here she is trapped inside a fenced village keeping the Unconsecrated out and keeping her trapped inside, but she holds out hope for all that is beyond the forest. Hope for goods things to happen in her life and for there to be some sort of world outside this village that she is stuck in. Also to find the ocean that her mother was always telling her about. As much as Mary annoyed me at times, I really felt for her character. She had so much pain inside her. It was hard not to hope that things worked out for her.

As weird as this may sound, what I loved the most about the book was also part of what I didn't like. There was an unbelievable amount of description. I loved it because I actually felt as though I could visualize everything around them, at times though the details were just a little too much. I am not sure if that makes sense or not!

I was a little disappointed with the ending, but perhaps it was because it seemed so abrupt. It sort of just ended. It kind of felt like there was more to tell and many questions left unanswered. I know there is a sequel though so hopefully I get some of my questions answered in that one!

Overall I would say it was a pretty good read. Although I had some issues with it they were just minors ones that I could overlook. I think anyone that has an interest in zombie books would really like this one.

Missy's rating - 4/5

8 comments:

  1. We liked very similar elements of this book. I'm absolutely wild about Carrie Ryan's books. I'm also so into dystopia right now that it's ridiculous. I got frustrated with Mary so much! I wanted to shake her and yell at her to see what she had right in front of her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book reminded me of the Village too, for most of the book I kept thinking the zombies were going to be fake, but in the end they were real zombies. I really enjoyed this book. Great review!

    Also, I just started a new quote meme over at my blog if you want to check it out: http://midnighttwilightsbookblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/quote-love-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Missy,
    am glad I picked this one up yesterday. I will have to get it high on the TBR list. You made it sound good. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review Missy! I liked this one as well, but I'm not sure if I'll ever read the other books in the series...who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book looks absolutely fantastic! great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great minds think alike, posting this review today, eh?! I think your review is fab! I, too, had a few qualms with it, and Mary annoyed me, but I just loved the dark and creepy feel :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is on my to read list but I have heard that it was really sad so it keeps finding it's way to the bottom of the pile. I will have to move it up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely agree with your points! The author was super descriptive so I could easily picture the scenes but then it got a bit graphic. I also agree the ending was really abrupt - at least it's a series so we more to look forward to. Great review!

    ReplyDelete