Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Review - Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson



Title: Amy & Roger's Epic Detour (Amazon)
Author: Morgan Matson
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: May 4th, 2010
Pages: 344
Genre: YA
Source: Library

Summary via Goodread:

Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew—just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn’t seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she’s coming to terms with her father’s death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road—diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards—this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

Missy's take-

Let me start by saying I have always wanted to go on a road trip like this. From one side of the US to the other. I think it would be an amazing adventure and that's exactly what this book was. An adventure. I lived vicariously through Amy as she went on an amazing trip with Roger. 

Amy's father has died in a car accident and she blames herself. A few months after his death her mother decides they need to move to Connecticut. With her mother in Connecticut a month before her Amy must head out on a road trip with Roger, the college son of one of her mother's friends. Instead of following the path mapped out for them by Amy's mother they decide to change things up a bit and make some stops of their own.. They end up learning things about themselves and each other along the way. Amy deals with the loss of a parent and coming to terms with it not being her fault. Roger tries to cope with the end of his relationship with his girlfriend and trying to put things back together. This wasn't just a driving adventure. It was also an adventure in finding themselves. Without each other, and the trip, they may not have been able to come to the realizations that they did.

I will admit that this started out a little slow for me, but it steadily picked up. It was really nice to see Amy opening up more and more as the trip went on. I loved the stops that they made and the people that they met up with along the way.  I love books that have characters that you can relate to and get a feel for and I definitely felt that with these characters. 

One of the best parts of the book, in my opinion, was all the little extras that went along with it. The pages with playlists (which I will definitely be checking out), receipts from diners and hotels along the way, postcards and pictures. It was so well thought out and put together. Just those little touches made it feel much more personal and real.


Missy's take - 4/5


Check out this video of Morgan Matson talking about the book!

9 comments:

  1. I loved the extra stuff in the book too! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds so good! I am really excited to read it. I hope to get a copy some time this week!
    Great review! Thanks for stopping by the blog!
    Happy Reading!!!
    Blake (The Book Bell)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know that even though this one starts out a little slow, it picks up once you get into it. I love that it includes postcards and receipts and things from their trip, what a fun addition for readers to see! Nice review:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sad to say that this has been sitting on my bookshelf for forever and I still haven't read it :( I have heard such wonderful things about the little extras in the book that give it a special touch. Glad to know that even though it started out a bit slow you it picked up and you enjoyed it! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was one of my favorite reads from last year that also inspired me to take a road trip :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this one in my TBR pile and you totally got me pumped up for it. I really like the idea of it, I personally don't like travel but deep down I - like you - have always wanted to go on an epic drive like the one you describe in the book.

    :D
    Anyway, thanks for the review! and the video!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this one, it was cute with some deeper stuff too.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I'm in about 5% on my Kindle and I'm already in love with it!
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this post, it is great

    ReplyDelete