Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Review - Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Title: Unearthly (Amazon)
Author: Cynthia Hand
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: Jan 4th, 2011
Pages: 448
Genre: YA

Summary:
In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart. (Goodreads)

Missy's take:

One of the reasons that I wanted to read this book was because of  the cover. I think it is so pretty! Then I read the synopsis and other reviews and I knew I had to read it! I am glad that I picked it up. It was so beautifully written! I really ended up loving it.


I have read all kinds of paranormal books with fairies, vampires and werewolves, but  haven't read very many books about angels in the past so I wasn't sure what to expect. I am glad to say that I wasn't disappointed. I was absorbed in it right from the beginning. It does not start off slow like some books do. You jump right into the action with the first page.

This was a completely unique perspective on angels compared to what I've read. They have a specific purpose on earth and they have visions that help them see what that purpose is, but they also live like regular humans. Most of them don't start getting visions of their purpose until they are teenagers. They go to school, have friends, jobs and the same issues all other people have. 

It was really easy to lost in Clara's world. She struggles to balance her human life with her angel life. When she finds out the location of her visions she and her family are forced to move to another state. She has to start over altogether. New school, new friends, new problems. I liked that she was so easy to relate to. Besides being part angel she was just like any other teenager.


I loved the rest of the cast of characters as well. They were perfect compliments to Clara. I thought Tucker was sweet and funny and I absolutely fell in love with him! I also couldn't help but feel that something suspicious was going on where her mom was involved, but maybe we will find more out about that in the next book. 

I am so happy that this is going to be a trilogy. I can't wait to find out what happens next and how Clara's relationships with all the characters develop!


Missy's rating- 5/5 Love love loved it!

6 comments:

  1. Great review =] I absolutely adored this book! I was a little iffy about jumping on the "Angel Train" but this book now has me obsessed. Glad you liked it!
    -Katelyn
    p.s. I hope you are just LOVING Forget You. It is perhaps my favorite book of all time

    ReplyDelete
  2. @klt1128 I am totally loving Forget You! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you loved it! This is one of my favorites from this year! I love Tucker! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh! I agree I wanted to read it when I saw the cover and the story is just as beautiful. I think Tucker is so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! Sounds better than I thought it would! I liked the cover but I'm a bit iffy about paranormal novels since they are not my cup of tea.
    You made it sound so interesting though! So I'll keep my eye open for this one! Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed Tucker-- he was amazing!! I agree that it was a neat perpective and take on the paranormal and angels in general.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete