Thursday, February 10, 2011

Review - Room by Emma Donoghue


Title: Room (Amazon)
Author: Emma Donoghue
Publisher: Little Brown and Company        
Release Date: 2010
Pages: 321
Genre: Adult Fiction


To five-year-old Jack, Room is the entire world. It is where he was born and grew up; it's where he lives with his Ma as they learn and read and eat and sleep and play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits.

Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough...not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Told entirely in the language of the energetic, pragmatic five-year-old Jack, ROOM is a celebration of resilience and the limitless bond between parent and child, a brilliantly executed novel about what it means to journey from one world to another. (Goodreads)

Kim’s take: It was a very good story but I still have some mixed feelings about it. I think the thing that bothered me the most was that it was written from the child’s view. And the language he uses just really irritated me sometimes. It’s probably just me, but there were several times I kept thinking that someone needs to put their foot down with this kid. But that was really the only part I had trouble with. It was a very sad story of a 19-year-old girl being kidnapped and held in a fortified shed for seven long years and the things she endured before and after giving birth all alone and trying to create a life for her son within 4 walls. After their daring escape, Jack goes on to detail how he is affected by a world he never knew about on the outside and the problems this causes for his mother and himself. A really good story if you can get past or not be bothered by the narration of a 5-year old.

Kim’s Rating: 4/5

3 comments:

  1. This book has been following me around, and i've been resisting it, but I may actually have to get around to it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read Room. It's been on my TBR since I first heard about it. I don't think the 5 year old thing would bother me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to read this for awhile! Soon I will :)


    and thanks for the comments on my blog :) it's always appreciated

    ReplyDelete