Monday, February 28, 2011

Review - My Fair Lazy by Jen Lancaster

Title: My Fair Lazy (Amazon)
Author: Jen Lancaster
Publisher: New American Library
Release Date: 2010
Source: Library
Pages: 370
Genre: Memoir

Summary:
Readers have followed Jen Lancaster through job loss, sucky city living, weight loss attempts, and 1980s nostalgia. Now Jen chronicles her efforts to achieve cultural enlightenment, with some hilarious missteps and genuine moments of inspiration along the way. And she does so by any means necessary: reading canonical literature, viewing classic films, attending the opera, researching artisan cheeses, and even enrolling in etiquette classes to improve her social graces.

In Jen's corner is a crack team of experts, including Page Six socialites, gourmet chefs, an opera aficionado, and a master sommelier. She may discover that well-regarded, high-priced stinky cheese tastes exactly as bad as it smells, and that her love for Kraft American Singles is forever. But one thing's for certain: Eliza Doolittle's got nothing on Jen Lancaster-and failure
is an option. (Goodreads)

Kim’s take:

Have I mentioned that I love me some Jen Lancaster? All of her books are amazingly funny and quick reads. So many sections make me laugh out loud. This time Jen takes us through her mission to remove herself from the couch and her beloved reality shows and become more cultured. Afraid of not sounding intelligent at upcoming book events as a best-selling author, she sets out in an attempt to expose herself to those things which have never interested her or make her uncomfortable. Her closest friend Stacy, a fellow author, helps push her in the right direction and keeps her on track, Needless to say, hilarity follows. Reading poetry, wine and cheese tasting, theatre, and her determination to try different food from all different cultures are mixed in with the loss and gain to her beloved animal menagerie and a taunting rat who takes up residence and the attempts made to rid him. Jen Lancaster is one of my favorite authors and I would highly recommend her books to anyone. I will admit this was the least funny of her books but still hysterical and I can’t wait for her new book coming out in March!

Kim’s Rating: 4/5 

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard about these books, but they sound pretty awesome. I LOVE those slippers in the cover!:D
    I'm going to try to check it out :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this cover before but havent picked it up! Never read her novels but you definitely having me want to start!

    Fabulous blog! Yay! We can be blog besties!

    ReplyDelete